Wax Finishes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between "Clear Paste Wood Wax" and "Microcrystalline Restoration Wax"....?

The information on the 2 tins doesn't really explain the advantages of using one or the other.
I've got a project that is ready for finishing and I'm torn as to which one to use.....

I got one of the special offer packs from Axminster at Xmas time that has 4 tins of different waxes in it.
The other 2 tins are for use on tools and machinery beds etc.

Melting point in my experience. If the item is going to be handled, microcrystalline all the way. If it is furniture the paste wax may be ok, but I don't think I would bother buying a replacement tin of clear when my current one is used up and would replace with microcrystalline

Just the answer I was looking for Mark! Thanks.

I'll finish it in the Microcrystalline wax.....Its not likely to get handled that much but it's small enough to get picked up and moved on the odd occasion.

I'm going to post a few pictures of it over in the "Post a photo of the last thing you made" thread....

Thanks for the tip Phil.
I sealed the wood first with sanding sealer and the results can be seen over in the "Post a picture of the last thing you made" thread.

Phil Pascoe":2wz78391 said:
Which is fine if what you are polishing is flat. :D

Don’t think I’ve ever used it on flat work I use it predominantly for lathe work either finishing on or off the lathe but that said it would also be good for flat work but I tend to use woodwax 22 on that.
Microcrystalline is the better wax if the piece is going to be handled a lot.

Back