Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Milner

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been tasked to "reimagine" a workspace/workshop and I'm looking for some advice on table saws. Being in the UK it seems its more difficult to find a good quality saw that won't set you back millions.

Through research, I believe I'm looking for something with a heavy cast top, but not a cabinet saw. Something I can place on wheels to keep the space clear when it's not needed but not a job site saw with the funky foldable frames. My problem at the moment is I keep coming across either cheap "off-brand" saws that look like they'll fall apart when you turn them on or super high-end NASA saws that run on the power of the sun.

Any advice on models, what I should be expecting for the price range and or where I can even buy one would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt

You probably need to give more information of the capacity you need or what you're trying to cut and budget. If you want something you can lift around and on to a bench then it's going to be relatively small capacity tables for the weight to be manageable.

Why not a cabinet saw Matt? My SIP 01332 has a wheel kit fitted and though I rarely move it these days I used to push it to the side very easily, same is available for the bigger 12" saw as well. It's not difficult to work out a wheeled option for most machines.There are quite a few of these under different badges.

I would be mostly cutting ply sheets, which I would do now with a hand circular saw and a homemade jig which is not 100% accurate. Important thing is that it doesn't take up the entire floor space as we are limited, which is why I would prefer something that can move around.

Prince range isn't up to me but i would say anywhere from £200-£400.

If it's cutting ply sheets just get a tracksaw and use it on trestles or a sheet of kingspan on the floor.

You will struggle to get a decent panel saw / table saw that can handle sheets for that money.

You need a lot of space around a table saw to cut up sheets, at least the length of the sheet in front and behind the saw.

I did think about that, and i agree a good track saw would be ideal but it is quite often im required to cut smaller pieces around 30 x 80 cm for example and setting up our current circular saw with homemade jig just takes forever, especially when making repeat cuts. (also less accurately)

I also find it has other limitations such as being unable to cut grooves accurately, creating half-lap joins would be impossible, and other such things I could do with a table saw.

Ideally if i have larger sheets to cut i would use a track saw to bring them down to a manageable size, and do the rest on a table saw. Its rare i need a piece 2.4m.

I should have said Matt that I also use a tracksaw to cut down large sheets and I also have a decent bandsaw. I'm not sure what you'd get for your budget tbh unless you go used.

Tracksaws work really well for cutting down the sheet goods. You mention homemade jigs when you talk about circular saws. Is this a homemade track saw or something else?
Sorry if this is a silly question

Youre trying to buy two very high priced machines for the price of one very cheap one. Youre not going to do it.

Use a track saw to cut the large sheets down to manageable size, and then use a better quality contractor saw to cut smaller pieces.
I have a dewalt 745 table saw which can be bought for well under 400 quid and it is a lot of saw for that money. The fence is amazing and can easily handle up to 600 mm to the blade, which means you can cut 1.2 metres pieces all by yourself.

Its 22 kgs, which means it can be lifted and stored by any fit person, but is rock steady wherever you site it.

Lons":2ywzzbmo said:
I should have said Matt that I also use a tracksaw to cut down large sheets and I also have a decent bandsaw. I'm not sure what you'd get for your budget tbh unless you go used.

Used would be a good option for me, would you know where i could find used ones?

Stanleymonkey":3ah4t1ry said:
Tracksaws work really well for cutting down the sheet goods. You mention homemade jigs when you talk about circular saws. Is this a homemade track saw or something else?
Sorry if this is a silly question

Currently using a standard circular saw with a straight edge jig, kind of acts like a track but i still often get wonky cuts with it as it isn't fixed in place on the track itself.

sunnybob":3bf20jas said:
Youre trying to buy two very high priced machines for the price of one very cheap one. Youre not going to do it.

Use a track saw to cut the large sheets down to manageable size, and then use a better quality contractor saw to cut smaller pieces.
I have a dewalt 745 table saw which can be bought for well under 400 quid and it is a lot of saw for that money. The fence is amazing and can easily handle up to 600 mm to the blade, which means you can cut 1.2 metres pieces all by yourself.

Its 22 kgs, which means it can be lifted and stored by any fit person, but is rock steady wherever you site it.

That would be ideal, the next thing i have to convince the people here on is a decent track saw instead of a homemade substitute. I did look at the Dewalt saws but i was a little unsure of them. Is the top solid or is it pressed steel like many "similar-sized" cheaper saws?

Its slightly better than pressed steel (which is usually really naff) its cast alloy.
I spent 2 years trying to get a decent table saw here in Cyprus, some of the pressed steel versions I could depress with my fingertips. I finally had to go to the dewalt, and believe me, I wasted 2 years.

I work mostly with hardwoods, but also ply up to 12 mm thick, its never let me down.

The fence is amazingly versatile and accurate, well above any of its competitors. You need to have a personal viewing of one and it will convince you.

I am a great advocate of a table saw as you can see from this thread: topic102284.html but since getting a decent Bandsaw and a track saw, it gets used less and less, together with a sliding mitre saw the table saw is almost redundant, think carefully about your real requirements and space available.

Latest posts

Back