Planer/Thicknesser and extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just seen an excellent video by Paosun on YouTube detailing his replacement fence for the titan. I've seen others but he has printable plans for a fiver. I need to sort that out myself!

Thanks.

Going back to extraction.

I believe that I would have to ground any plastic piping to remove the electrical charge being built up?

If this is the case how do you do that? Just connect copper wire to both sides of the pipe? Or through the pipe?

I presume it just clips onto the tool and extractor?

Thanks

James

If you do it then you can get some adhesive copper tape to basically connect to everything and ground it.

Frankly it's not something I'm worried about for the amount I use it at the moment.

In theory, yes, the static plus the dust (in your workshop sir, not in the pipes) could make a bang in exactly the right circumstances. Those being a density of particulate that you'd barely be able to see let alone breathe.

Lots of people have talked about how it is a must to do and so on and maybe there have even been examples of not doing it causing an explosion, though I imagine they are rare.

On the flip side, it's cheap to do. Just by putting some copper wire in the pipe and grounding it or using sticky copper tape on the outside etc.

But then I've seen other posts saying that just going right to ground can cause problems and that there should be a resistor between the pipe and ground to eat any charge.

In the mean time. You might get a zap from your pipe.

morpheus83uk":3qf1u6jd said:
Thank you so would the Scheppach be the better machine overall as well irrelevant of spares?
Thanks James

Sorry I can't answer that as I've never used the Scheppach, maybe best to look for on-line reviews.

Thank you all for your help.

I have settled for the Scheppach and the Charonwood w796 extractor mainly because its the best one I could get away with in the available space. I did however find teh product manual online for P/T and found that it required at least 500M^3 airflow so the Charonwood has 1200m^3 so this should be perfect and for the lathe too!

Don't see the logic of getting a 1000m3 extractor when you can get a 2000m3 for less: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105099

Strange thing about extraction, machine manufacturers always under estimate the extraction needed for their machine and extraction manufacturers always over estimate the extraction of their machine, it's a conspiracy I tell you, it's a conspiracy!

Right, final warning you lot, before I start flogging people. We, who live in Britain, speak English. We don't speak American or Youtubish. In England, we don't "ground" anything, we earth it. And we don't have "jointers", we have planers. Take heed, or take pain.

New mask.jpg

Attachments

• New mask.jpg
    New mask.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 193
MikeG.":1zx3f2yz said:
Right, final warning you lot, before I start flogging people. We, who live in Britain, speak English. We don't speak American or Youtubish. In England, we don't "ground" anything, we earth it. And we don't have "jointers", we have planers. Take heed, or take pain.
Excuse me while I go fit my headers ;)

MikeJhn":2um9h8h2 said:
Don't see the logic of getting a 1000m3 extractor when you can get a 2000m3 for less: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105099

Strange thing about extraction, machine manufacturers always under estimate the extraction needed for their machine and extraction manufacturers always over estimate the extraction of their machine, it's a conspiracy I tell you, it's a conspiracy!

It's very simple logic, one fits in the space I have in the garage the other doesnt...

I agree with you and was going to get the one you have linked to the issue being no matter how hard I tried moving the garage around it just simply wouldn't fit. So the best one I could get was the one I mentioned. I was gonna get the home version but the trade one was smaller, slightly more powerful, and had a 2micron filter opposed to a 5 micron filter plus the axminster one has a 30 micron filter. So the one I have is better for my health and fits into the garage. If it breaks and I get more space then I would certainly go for the axminster one with the fine filter.

Thanks.

James

DBT85":g8qi0x11 said:
MikeG.":g8qi0x11 said:
Excuse me while I go fit my headers ;)

Make sure you make them strong enough to take your weight hanging from a pair of shackles.

Don't worry Mike we will put him in the trunk and take him for a ride. (to be said in an Al Pacino voice)

Forgot fitting the concrete slippers.

MikeG.":15togmxz said:
Presumably you'll put the trunk in the boot of the car first.

You really should not use Americanism's, to answer your question NO that would be the suitcase.

MikeJhn":1i4o9wzl said:
MikeG.":1i4o9wzl said:

You really should not use Americanism's, to answer your question NO that would be the suitcase.

trunk is appropriate if he is a larger chap and whole. Suitcase is only really needed if you've chopped him up :twisted:

Droogs":3pq4sjcd said:
MikeJhn":3pq4sjcd said:
MikeG.":3pq4sjcd said:

trunk is appropriate if he is a larger chap and whole. Suitcase is only really needed if you've chopped him up :twisted:
you callin' me fat? (homer)

Back