Titebond III leaving white marks on wood after wiping down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been a while since I been on here, had the last 18 months off due to a family illness.

I have started to build the ridge for my glasshouse. On the weekend, I glued up the ridge with Titebond III, but noticed white marks being left after I wiped down with a damp rag.

Im not too bothered about the marks, this is being painted. But am a little concerned that the glue may be defective.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpeg
    IMG_0901.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 267
hard to tell from a distance, but check the glue by gluing a test piece together and then prying it laterally until it breaks. IF it breaks leaving fibers on the glue seam, then it's fine.

Thanks, that's what I would have done, but this is glued up now. Worrying though. A better pic attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 09.35.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 09.35.17.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 190
Titebond glues have a shelf life of one to two years, depending on how it is stored. Although it appears from the images that you used way too much glue, it's been enough time to remove the clamps and test the bonds.

I use titebond 3. I find its much better to wait till its almost dry before removing excess, it goes lumpy and is easily scraped away. I use an old narrow wallpaper scraper.
If I wipe it i find that I get waterproof areas like yours seem to be. I stain or varnish my stuff so then I have to sand a lot to get it back to bare wood. If youre priming and painting I dont think there will be any problem.

But a destruction test on scrap will set your mind at rest.

Theres a date code on the bottle, but as long as it hasnt got extremely cold it should be ok well past that date.

MikeK":26u1stne said:
Titebond glues have a shelf life of one to two years, depending on how it is stored. Although it appears from the images that you used way too much glue, it's been enough time to remove the clamps and test the bonds.

I have ordered a new bottle, I have also pinned the pieces as well as gluing them. The marks on this wood are from a very small surplus about of glue, this is the amount that oozed out when the pressure was applied. I have removed the clams and they do seem ok though. Hopefully it will hold.

Have disposed of the glue just incase.

I think you'll be fine. If your damp rag was very damp, I'm not sure what happens with TBIII when you inadvertently dilute it significantly. Certainly many water base finishes can only handle a little bit of thinning and will lose their ability to work right if they're diluted too far (but I've never seen it with TB glues, to be fair).

as sb says, I'd still just do a test piece. I've experienced glue not flowing well (From drying in the container) before it was ever a threat to underperform.

MikeK":12tcdpye said:
Titebond glues have a shelf life of one to two years, depending on how it is stored.

Interesting. I've just bought a very large :shock: bottle of TB3 and despite reading all the small print I couldn't see a 'use by' date. I've got it stored on a cold tiled floor in the larder where it's always pretty cool, so I assume this is the a reasonable way to store it, rather than in the 'shop where it can get very hot in the summer - Rob

seek and ye shall find; :lol: 8)

For those who wish to know; (Per Titebond) - In March of 2009, we switched to the new lot numbering system. The new one is: The first digit represents A for America (made in), the second digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the lot number. Example: A904270023 – This material was manufactured on April 27, 2009

titebond say 1 year life but everybody and his dog accepts 2 years at room temp.

Heres a shocker :shock:
I checked the titebond 3 bottle that I bought early last year.

The date code is 2009 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Its still working well and grabbing quickly, although now I know its age I will be careful not to use it on anything structural.

And remember, we get 40 c summers, so that bottle has been through ELEVEN of them and still works. Of course, its never been frozen :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Did you buy it from a local hardware store? I ordered one from ace hardware here in the states last year because someone gave me a gift card. When I went to the store to pick it up (the only way to keep a $6 bottle from becoming $19), they wanted me to take their store stock bottle instead of the shipped bottle. When I looked at their store bottle, the top was black with settled dust thick enough that you couldn't read through it. I didn't pick it up (hand washing may have been necessary after that), but can't imagine it was less than 5 years old or so.

They didn't want to leave their counter and get my physical order and were miffed with me for being "so picky that I wouldn't just take another bottle" that was the same thing. It turned into a 4 person effort just to find the box that corporate shipped to them days before.

Local rockler here had a similar issue with liquid hide glue, which has a much shorter shelf life. I bought three bottles from them, and two of the three were solidfied in the bottle. Their turnover with glue is much faster, but the distribution must not be fast enough behind it to get fresh glue. Long story short, best to buy it from a place that has high turnover and little between them and manufacturing. I think rockler is a us only chain, and they always refund without question, but you waste the trip and usually find nothing to exchange if you take something back (either out of stock or the whole lot was bad).

sunnybob":l9skapcf said:

Its still working well and grabbing quickly, although now I know its age I will be careful not to use it on anything structural.

And remember, we get 40 c summers, so that bottle has been through ELEVEN of them and still works. Of course, its never been frozen :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
That's a relief SB. The Everbuild D4 stuff which I'm currently using has a supposed shelf life of around six months but seems to be OK for at least a year, maybe more - Rob

I am sadly lacking in choices of suppliers. on Cyprus. There is ONE shop that imports and sells Titebond. Trying to import any myself would result in 100 dollar bottles.
I admit I suspected when I bought the bottle last year that it might be old stock. Three years ago they had a large quantity of every type, but every time I went back the quantity and variety was getting less. They Obviously bought a large consignment in order to get the dealership, and have been slowly (VERY SLOWLY) selling it on.
Its a 1 litre bottle, now about half empty. It will be a shame if I cant get anymore, I like working with it and it has a much longer working time in high summer, where the D4 becomes instant contact adhesive at temps over 35.

The white is a sign of frost / cold damage.
It'll work but not as it's suppose to.

woodbloke66":392xy313 said:
sunnybob":392xy313 said:

That's a relief SB. The Everbuild D4 stuff which I'm currently using has a supposed shelf life of around six months but seems to be OK for at least a year, maybe more - Rob

Why have you decided to stop using D4 in favour Titebond?

Being very bored tonight, I've done some surfing on titebond 3.

The company says 2 years life span =D> =D> =D> So theyre very conservative on their claims.
minimum application temperature is 45F (7c)
and one I havent seen before,
Freeze / thaw stability = 5 cycles
so if youre in a very cold area that could mean only 5 nights of below zero temps before they give up responsibility for it :shock: :shock:
Thankfully thats never been a problem here. 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back