Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bluebottle":l9vugy4j said:
Hi.

I have the Triton table saw and want to make a sled, can anyone tell me which t track widths available will fit?

I am inclined to agree with placing the unit in its own sturdy structure. :D

As far as I remember the slots on the Triton saw are an upside down T and none of the standard slides will fit, buy yourself some Ikea cutting boards and make them yourself.

I have had a Titan TTB763TAS table saw for about 4 years now and for value for money, there's simply nothing on the market to compare it with at that price if you just want to rip wood. It's hardly refined and it's noisy but it works, does the job and it's never let me down and while the fence is a little iffy, I have got used to its idiosyncrasies and always get very reliable accurate cuts. The mitre sled that came with the saw was inaccurate due to play in the track which made it impossible to get repeat accurate cuts. That could be easily overcome by making a better fitting rail which goes in the slot but I have a sliding mitre saw so I really have no need of it.

If I had the room however I might be tempted to build it into a large table to handle cutting 8 x 4 sheets but I haven't so I use the next best thing.

Most hand held circular saw bases are offset with a wide and narrow side relative to the blade depending upon which direction one is cutting so screw a piece of 4 x 1 to a piece or sheet of say 12mm or more ply leaving just a little more than the narrowest side of a hand held circular saw and run the saw along it with edge of the saw base butted up to the 4 x 1. That will now give an accurate straight edge which you can place on the cutting line of a piece you're cutting without the need to clamp a strip of wood as a straight edge and without the need to make allowances for the saw base width. Then cut the ply on the other side of the 4 x 1 with the saw facing so that it uses the widest side of the circular saw base. You now have a dual sided straight edge capable of helping you cut any 8 x 4 sheet with ease when placed on the floor but slightly raised on batons or whatever.

You really don't need to spend on an expensive track saw. I have three of these straight edges (2 foot, 4 foot and 8 foot long) and they serve me well. I only use the circular saw occasionally so the circular saw I possess is a just basic Titan 165mm circular saw which is actually pretty good when fitted with a good blade and between it and the home made straight edges, they do all I want with regard to cuts which cannot be accommodated on the table saw.

For everything else I just use a Metabo 254 compound sliding mitre saw which is my favourite go to saw.
If someone only has a table saw then I can understand the need of a sled but with having a sliding mitre saw and circular saw, it negates the need for me to bother with making a table saw sled.

EDIT:
I've seen it mentioned that the Titan table saw base is unstable. Quite frankly I think that is nonsense and the user can't have put it together correctly or it has been pushed so that the legs have been bent due to resistance to the floor surface. I find, for a cheap table saw, it's remarkably stable and is extremely stable in use on a level floor but it does need to be lifted carefully if moving or repositioning which sometimes need to do due to lack of space in my garage workshop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back