Planing the Outside of a Case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which of course shows that you either can't do it, or you haven't tried doing it. That's what happens when you're a......

[youtube]zDylgpGHcic[/youtube]

I have the same scraper. I've had several scraping planes and high angle planes. Before i learned to plane, I thought they were necessary. A planed surface looks better and is worth learning. Though it won't save anyone from seeing the industrial color epoxy.

I don't have much confidence that there are many folks around planing like what would've been common 200 years ago. There's little evidence of it occurring, but there are a few skilled cabinetmakers, like Al Breed who say things such as:

>>I always feel that planing will give a cleaner finish than scraping when possible.<<

Of course it will. It's extremely uncommon that it's not possible, but you have to know how to use a plane. Not a scraper.

D_W":a75i99ls said:
..... it won't save anyone from seeing the industrial color epoxy.......

The one and only time I have ever used epoxy. And no, it isn't "industrial colour" whatever you mean by that. It is brass. That scraped nicely too. Not sure I'd be taking a plane blade to brass......

Considering religion and politics are banned topics there's an awful lot of bad blood, back biting and unpleasantness. It amazes me at times how aggressive we can get over absolutely nothing. Nobody is better than anyone else no matter how much you know think you know or how good your woodworking is. There's a pandemic on guys we could all die.
FG

thetyreman":2cu3hj8a said:
if we did plane like they did 200 years ago we'd all have broken backs

Still though, certainly a whole lot easier to surface the same material compared to a hundred years before then. 8)

thetyreman":2cpscr8a said:
if we did plane like they did 200 years ago we'd all have broken backs

I'm not sure where you're aiming with that. You might wear out your shoulders, but nobody is in danger of that planing a few hours a week.

you may be in danger of planing as nicholson said was the standard - to plane through strokes on pieces end to end, overlapping until there are no unbroken shavings.

Back