Bookcase project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only piece of furniture in my lounge I didn't make is from Ikea.

Pete

Well i have been busy, purchased a new Festool track saw, Why i didnt buy one of these years ago i dont know, i was staggered at the accuracy & cleanness of the cut, zero tear out on the veneered faces & they look like they were cut with a laser.
Lower storage unit was prefabbed in the workshop, as its 2.3m long 500mm high & 400 deep being built from 27mm mdf it was going to be a massive struggle to carry indoors so it was assembled dry, edges all faced & assembled in situ. In view of the weight of books its going to carry it has to be strong & i used two layers of mdf one 15 & one 12 glued together as this was what the timber yard had!
Upper book case sections will be 18mm.
All the front edges will be a 12mm thick section with radiused corners.
Will have some pics tomorrow.

Well it wasnt tomorrow as things got in the way! Back on the job & the tracksaw was busy. My last hand held circular saw was an old metal cased black & decker dating back to the mid 60's, that was lucky to cut within 1/8" of the line, the festool was a revelation, smooth prescise cuts with no tear out or chipping. This one job it has earnt its cost & then some.
Heres a couple of pics with the top glued on, nearly done! All frontedges have been edged with 12mm solid edgings so an 8mm radius on every corner, I dont like sharp corners or iron on edging.
Couple of balls ups to repair tomorrow where i ran the router too far at a couple of the intersections.
Thing is as a boatbuilder im used to working with 3d curved things & having to work square is a bit of a challenge to me, Im pleased & so is my good lady!
Bookcase 1.JPG

Attachments

• Bookcase 1.JPG
    Bookcase 1.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 86
Well its done, all repairs done, all sanded down & three coats of Ronseal satincoat polyurethane varnish. I was quite impressed with the varnish its easy to apply & goes off quickly.
I was going to fit a ceiling trim & cornice but was vetoed by my wife, the room ceiling slopes down enough at one end that no matter what you do it was going to stand out like a wart. It was less obtrusive to leave the top bit off!
Some led strip lights to fit & the lower doors to make but that will have to wait until the timber yard is open again. Tomorrow i start loading it up with books.
Bookcase4.JPG

Attachments

• Bookcase4.JPG
    Bookcase4.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 49
Back