Recommendations for tracksaw and router upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get my job done AES so thanks for that tip. I am ashamed that I didn't think of it myself as its the kind of little solve I'm usually good at. Maybe the frustration clouded my mind!

One thing I have noticed with the Titan is that even with the splinter guard on my Evo tracks cut to size, it can sometimes cut it again which then means that something is moving. It's not the saw on the track (laterally) so I'm not sure what is causing it. One to fiddle with at some point.

I can certainly see myself getting the TS55 in time as I keep tools forever and look after them so it would probably last me a decade or two. After doing these 25 degree cuts on the titan with a 2kw vac on the end of it, dust collection was not great. Something I know the Festool just handles better in every respect. I had my mask on anyway though!

DBT85 said:
I managed to get my job done AES so thanks for that tip. I am ashamed that I didn't think of it myself as its the kind of little solve I'm usually good at. Maybe the frustration clouded my mind!

OK, glad you found it useful, at least for the future. BTW, absolutely no need to feel ashamed - yes, it's a very old tip, and I've know it for a long time, BUT I certainly didn't "invent" the idea, and it's so long ago when I 1st saw it myself that I can't now even remember when & where I saw it!

Just to be filed away in the "may come in useful one day" file. :D

Have a look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Multi-P ... 5H4ZFWVGYK the only thing these are good for is cropping bolts, look at the hinge of the two handles there are threads marked, screw into the threaded side and shear the bolt off at the length you want, then unscrew and automatically clean the thread, this is their only use, useless as crimpers, should always use a closed four sided crimper for terminals.

Thanks for the info MikeG. In my apprenticeship I made a "nut plate" (like lots of other "apprenti" I guess) but that was mainly for IMP & UNC/F threads. I've been meaning to make a Metric version to suit my present abode, but so far it's always been a question of "roundtoit". :D

P.S. I didn't know about 4-sided cable crimpers. I have a couple of cheapos but they're pretty much hit & miss really - I always finish off the few crimps I do with snipe nose pliers!

MikeJhn":3h584gmb said:
Have a look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Multi-P ... 5H4ZFWVGYK the only thing these are good for is cropping bolts, look at the hinge of the two handles there are threads marked, screw into the threaded side and shear the bolt off at the length you want, then unscrew and automatically clean the thread, this is their only use, useless as crimpers, should always use a closed four sided crimper for terminals.

Thanks Mike,

I actually have a set of those that last time I tried to put an M4 bolt into it just refused to go through so haven't touched them since! A hacksaw did the job for me this time.

You could use the crimper as a vice to hold the bolt, then cut off with the hacksaw and use the thread to clean the bolt.

They do sound a good idea, but most of the starter kits bits have not been used in the years I have had them, it's become obvious to me that it's best to just buy the ones you specifically want, I buy most of my bits from Wealdon, sharp accurate and seem to last a lot longer than those I have bought from elsewhere, in particular the door hinge sinker is much better then the Trend one I have, that only lasted about three holes, the Wealdon example has done over twenty and is still usable without sharpening.

Back