Help delta 16 scroll saw problem bad misalignment first time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s pretty square all round apart from the bench. I managed to get a couple of cuts. I did tighten the blade to a ping. I’m finding it pretty hard to steer. Goes left as you look at it. I’m clamping it down but just seems pretty hard work to cut. Obviously my inexperience but il get there. Just had to mega over correct which seemed a bit wild even when taking my time. May even be not such good bladed. The credit card bit worked well and I could straighten the blade by removing the nut on the lower atom and turning it around which gained me a few mil. Need to make something tighter for a blade changer. Thanks for your help it’s really appreciated.

The saw is a delta 16 twin speed.

Looking at the photo with he credit card the table needs adjusting to lower the right hand side, see the pic I put up of the manual on how to do it. As for the blade cutting off straight, they all do that to a certain degree, some cut to left more than others, it's to do with how they're made, they're stamped out and this leaves a little burr on them.

+1 for what 'e said!

Some beginners ask why there isn't some sort of fence on a scroll saw (to aid cutting straight lines). But that wouldn't work!

Just as loftyhermes said, if you look vertically down from above the saw, onto the blade/cut as it's cutting into a piece of wood, the work piece will usually NOT be at 90 degrees to the saw (front to back) axis.

Just as he says, that's a function of the blade and how it's made. MOST blades need the work piece to be offset at an angle to the left (looking down from above) to achieve a straight line cut, but how much offset will depend on the blade, what type exactly, and whether or not it's fresh or worn. The amount of "angle off" depends on the blade, and some of mine even need angling off to the right.

It's a bit weird when you start off and you tend to wonder what you're doing wrong (well I did anyway!) but it's quite normal and you soon get used to it.

Can you show us a photo of the current table adjustment?

2a.jpg

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 245
I’m clamping it down but just seems pretty hard work to cut. Obviously my inexperience but il get there. Just had to mega over correct which seemed a bit wild even when taking my time..[/quote]

I bought my first scroll saw a few months ago and had a few “mega correction” moments at the beginning. I thought I was feeding the workpiece in slowly enough, but I realised I wasn’t. Slo-o-o-owly does it, and if your eyes are getting tired take a few moments out to rest them. Any brief moment of inattention will instantly be punished with a swerve off line.

The next thing that helps is good blade tension. I followed the instructions that came with my Axi saw, but soon discovered that these left the blade way under-tensioned. I now tension until the blade pings, then keep tensioning until I get a really high note. You may break one or two blades early on, but this is cheaper and less frustrating than ruining a nice project.

Following on from this, it is important to match the blade to the thickness and density of the wood. My first project used 9 mm birch ply which was nice and easy to cut. I next tried some rather hard 25 mm thick beech. Complete frustration until I switched to a blade with much fewer teeth, when cutting suddenly got easier again.

Some may disagree with me, but I have stopped using the hold down clamp. It gets in the way,and I can hold down a workpiece perfectly safely without it - so long as I feed it slo-o-o-only !

And last of all, though a side issue to your original question- please always protect your eyes and breathing when using a scroll saw. It may only produce a small amount of dust, but it is still bad for the lungs.

Apologies if I am repeating advice already given by others - I cannot refer to previous comments while typing.

The picture shows the Deltas table clamp which by its design may not be accurate when assembled, it needs to be zeroed once the table has been set square to the blade using a square or credit card, the arrow has adjustment for this purpose.

Attachments

• clamp.png
    clamp.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 232
Back