Itech 260S with Spiral cutter head - First impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Hovis,

Thanks for the tip on the guide. I had actually called Scott and Sergeant who had told me the same thing, but as of yet I haven't had a chance to check it out so didn't want to post without testing first. I have the same thing going on with my fence as you, but it hasn't been an issue yet on the pieces I have planed. The aluminium fence is just bolted on to the support, so I think it would be quite easy to replace. If it does become an issue I might speak to a friend of mine who is a metal worker to see if he could make anything more accurate than what's already there.

Thanks

Can you bolt a board in your concave fence, with recessed heads, then plane the fence flat and true?

I’m considering this on my old Wadkin as I have the same concave issue that results in fence adjustment with different height boards.

Fitz.

Thanks all. I did consider bolting an auxiliary fence on but I didn't want to take away any capacity from the surfacer. In the end I double sided taped some 60grit sandpaper onto my very flat workbench and spent 10 minutes a day over the last week just gliding the fence over it back and forth until it had taken material away from the centre. I then worked my way up the grits until it was smooth.

Bit of a faff but now its done and I'm much happier with the accuracy of it.

I'm guessing your Wadkin has a cast iron fence Fitzroy? My method was be far too laborious for that I would think so an auxiliary fence sounds like your easiest option.

Do you guys have a manual for the machine? There isn't one on the web site.

I'm interested to hear what size the footprint the machine is when setup?
(overall dims)

I'm looking to upgrade from my old Elektra Beckum hc260 which has served me well. I like the look of the Itech 260s. Can anyone please give me an update on it's performance and how they like it after they have owned it for a while now.
It certainly looks worth £1500.
Many thanks

Sorry for a slow response. I often browse the forum, but don't usually log in to post.

I have used my planer thicknesser a fair bit since buying it. After the initial set up and getting used to it I find it easy to use and it gives me square wood. It is quick to switch from planing to thicknessing. I haven't checked the 'digital' display on the thicknesser for accuracy as I don't have calipers or anything like that. It takes me a bit longer to switch from thicknessing to planing as I always find myself having to fiddle a bit with the locks at either end of the table to get the planing table to sit right. If it's not locked down completely the out feed table will be slightly higher than the planer blades and the piece will catch as it goes across. I think that's my problem rather than the machine as I am getting better at locking the table in quicker.

I don't have anything to compare it to since it is the first one I have owned or used, so I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it based on my testimony, but I am happy with it.

Thanks

Hello, I can see you have bought the item planer. Going to purchase one myself. Struggling to find the overall dimensions of the machine e.g. Width with footprint and planer guard and fence mechanism. I can see you got yours from Scott and Sargent, has there been any issues with the machine ? Are they okay to deal with ? How do you find the spiral cutter head on a noise level against a normal 3 knife block ?
Look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks !

Hi Moose, the dust is due to the very thorough set up done by S&S before dispatch. I ordered one of these in January ( all held up by Covid now) and visited S&S before confirming to look at the machines and talk to the technicians. All the planers are unboxed and very carefully set up to ensure the tables are accurately set and coplanor and they run a few pieces through after setup. They told me that as long as you don't use the tables as handles to move the machine it should not get out of true. I was impressed with the design and quality and look forward to getting it delivered ( to France) once travel etc is OK again.

I understand that S&S have stopped stocking the 310S because of problems with going out of adjustment. The still do the 300C model but this is about £600 more and has tables that open outwards rather than back

I’m also looking at getting the 260s although on a long delivery delay now - thanks COVID !
Any owners here have any more thoughts or more issues to watch out for ?
Thanks

I think for the kinda work I do and the wood a spiral cutter head would be great.....
a couple of decent hard KNOTS kill's the blade....the blades are not Asian....
my planer at the mo is a DeWalt D27300 and a spiral cutter head kit from the States is almost £800 the last time I looked....450 dollars for the kit and the rest is import duty, VAT and a small bit for shipping...
anyone bought one from the Canadian firm advertising on the forum...is there less duty from Canada.....?
My other machine waiting in the wings has a 16" or 40cm cutter head.....they say they will custon make one...be nice to do a deal on the two.....
even thought about getting one made..this side of the pond.....anyone done it.....?
it's not the cost of the c/head, it's all the add on costs by the thieves in suits that gets me....

Does anyone have problems with the rollers slipping? Lately I have to push / pull my boards through the thicknesser as the rollers just slip against the stock. Tried cleaning them / waxing the thicknesser bed but it still happens. Any advice would be most welcome.

Have a look at the outfeed roller - it is serrated and could be filled with resin and sawdust causing it to slip. Possibly take a brass brush and try to clean it?

Back