name that vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2u36erib said:
TobyC":2u36erib said:
Why? Is it worth over £2.00? Is it a Disston?

Disston made some saw vices, but I don't think they made bench vices.

BugBear

I was being a smart buttocks.

wizard knows.

( buttocks is not what I said, but OK!)

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I do apologize for dragging up a dead thread but I have picked up two of this style of vice. Unfortunately they are both missing the toothed plate that goes in between the cam and the toothed plate on the fixed jaw. I don't suppose anyone knows the whereabouts of a couple of spares or could post pictures of theirs so I can see enough detail to make my own? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, they are my two Entwisle & Kenyon's vice in my tool drool flickr page. The smaller - (same as yours) is from my Melhuish excelsior workbench. Its missing the little short rack that floats on top of the cam. I searched far and wide for another vice to copy the rack, 100s of emails, phone calls etc... following every little lead, thats how I managed to collect so much information on the vice) ...turns out my grumpy old next door neighbour had the larger model in an old bench in a makeshift outdoor workshop in his woods and after about six months of haggling (cash means nothing to this old timer! I had to find various pieces of rusting eye candy to trade) I eventually managed to convince him to make a swap for a great big beastly old record (fantastic vice) and much better suited for him . - All for that for the little "short rack" that he wouldn't let me borrow for a day to make a copy - when I got it home I had to laugh, the vice didn't even work because it was missing a couple of screws that held the long rack in place so it had been no good to him anyway... I then realised the shorter vice needs a larger size "short rack" so I took both vices to the most well known precision engineer around here (several patents under his belt etc..) -NIGHTMARE! Doesn't answer his phone - must have went out to his place twenty times to collect the vice! - "gone to the pub, come back in a few hours etc... when I eventually got the vice and the modified copy of the short rack back; the bloody thing didnt even work - complete mess. Worst bit of drunken engineering I ever did see.
If you ever consider selling your vice (I could have it courier collected from your door) or if you would think of getting a copy of the little short rack made?
Kind Regards
Mark
Ireland

wizard":38k6vwwl said:
Bought this at a car boot sale today £12.00 works on a cam not a thread, its quick release just push it to the work piece and push the handle down and it tightens and locks. No makers name.
Hi, they are my two Entwisle & Kenyon's vice in my tool drool flickr page. The smaller - (same as yours) is from my Melhuish excelsior workbench. Its missing the little short rack that floats on top of the cam. I searched far and wide for another vice to copy the rack, 100s of emails, phone calls etc... following every little lead, thats how I managed to collect so much information on the vice) ...turns out my grumpy old next door neighbour had the larger model in an old bench in a makeshift outdoor workshop in his woods and after about six months of haggling (cash means nothing to this old timer! I had to find various pieces of rusting eye candy to trade) I eventually managed to convince him to make a swap for a great big beastly old record (fantastic vice) and much better suited for him . - All for that for the little "short rack" that he wouldn't let me borrow for a day to make a copy - when I got it home I had to laugh, the vice didn't even work because it was missing a couple of screws that held the long rack in place so it had been no good to him anyway... I then realised the shorter vice needs a larger size "short rack" so I took both vices to the most well known precision engineer around here (several patents under his belt etc..) -NIGHTMARE! Doesn't answer his phone - must have went out to his place twenty times to collect the vice! - "gone to the pub, come back in a few hours etc... when I eventually got the vice and the modified copy of the short rack back; the bloody thing didnt even work - complete mess. Worst bit of drunken engineering I ever did see.
If you ever consider selling your vice (I could have it courier collected from your door) or if you would think of getting a copy of the little short rack made?
Kind Regards
Mark
Ireland

Would you just be willing to post better pictures of how the rack is fitted above the cam? Making my own isn't a problem I just need to see how it is supposed to go together.

Iron Hoarder":2fvjp9n0 said:
Would you just be willing to post better pictures of how the rack is fitted above the cam? Making my own isn't a problem I just need to see how it is supposed to go together.

Here are a couple of photo's I had on my computer - I uploaded to my flickr account for you https://flic.kr/p/nFUAgT and https://flic.kr/p/nFUAgT
This is the short rack from the longer vice placed in the shorter vice. This shorter vice needs a wider rack.
Ill take some better pics of the short rack with measurements and upload to flickr as soon as I get a chance.
I would also like to see some pics and measurements from wizards rack - if you wouldn't mind sharing - A gauged profile of the concave side of the short rack (side that contacts the cam) would be so useful in making a copy.
The little rack is often missing from these vice's as they are just floating on the cam.
Kind regards
Mark

Here are a couple of photo's I had on my computer - I uploaded to my flickr account for you https://flic.kr/p/nFUAgT and https://flic.kr/p/nFUAgT
This is the short rack from the longer vice placed in the shorter vice. This shorter vice needs a wider rack.
Ill take some better pics of the short rack with measurements and upload to flickr as soon as I get a chance.
I would also like to see some pics and measurements from wizards rack - if you wouldn't mind sharing - A gauged profile of the concave side of the short rack (side that contacts the cam) would be so useful in making a copy.
The little rack is often missing from these vice's as they are just floating on the cam.
Kind regards
Mark

wizard":1hejhis2 said:
Bought this at a car boot sale today £12.00 works on a cam not a thread, its quick release just push it to the work piece and push the handle down and it tightens and locks. No makers name.

Realise this is an old thread. Do you still have that vice is it for sale?

Very sorry to hear that :(
I haven't visited myself for around 3 years but have been a member of the site for over 15 years, life seems to have kept getting in the way but all along i have had an interest in tools and have amassed quite a collection. I really appreciate the craft, workmanship and the history of them and I keep saying I should stop but then I see another piece I want and it has to come home with me. I am hoping to be more regular on here and will try get some pics up of my workshop and some of my stock and projects once I have more time.

Its called a estwisle and keyons vice, another version called the massey vice exists but estwisle and kenyon ltd. owned the original patent

When I acquired a Syers (pat Wilson Riley) for next to nowt I incorporated it in my v slowly built workbench (it's mine on the excellent smallworkshop site) - very pleased with it, especially as it's about 140 yrs old - this one is rack and cam, with no small part to lose. I have since acquired an Entwisle & Kenyon (US licensed to Massey) patented only a month or so later - not yet fitted to anything - but I should mention that the end of the cast iron knob is broken off. I also found an engineering version of the E&K - in this case it looks like the end of the knob has been walloped out of shape (must have been up-graded to wrought iron, not cast?) --- this shows what these vices are not for -- a very tight grip, eg if bashing metal. But they're really great for a quick grip for most applications.

Why were the hillside towns to the north-west of Bradford such a centre of vice inventing and making?? Riley, E&K in 1870s - and then five years later the big one - Parkinsons (the precursor to all Record, Woden, Para. etc) and at least one more maker - all within view of each other on a clear day.

dannyr":15cclo2a said:
Why were the hillside towns to the north-west of Bradford such a centre of vice inventing and making?? Riley, E&K in 1870s - and then five years later the big one - Parkinsons (the precursor to all Record, Woden, Para. etc) and at least one more maker - all within view of each other on a clear day.

The textile trade.

It created a demand for textile machinery, which created a demand for machine tools and other engineering manufacturing equipment, especially around Keighley and Halifax. There were also several mill engine builders in the area, particularly Bradford, and a lot of other engineering in Leeds. Sheffield wasn't that far away, supplying hand tools.

Had to hold them parts for working on 'em somehow!

Back