Glass or Perspex for cabinet doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":odeyfp13 said:
Doug71":odeyfp13 said:
I am surprised that anyone would recommend anything other then safety glass, it sounds like the panes will only be narrow.......

Everyone thinks that "safety glazing" in the Building Regulations means either toughened or laminated. Well, it doesn't. There are other ways of showing compliance, one of which is to have small panes. From memory, there is a maximum width of 250mm and a maximum area of something like 1/2 a sq metre to fall within the category of "small" for the purposes of safety glazing. That's surprisingly big. If it is good enough for a house door, then it's good enough for a cupboard door.

I think from memory it has to be 6mm which could be a bit heavy depending on the cabinets, although if it is going in a groove to match some 6mm MDF panels could be perfect!

The thing I like about toughened glass is the nice rounded edges that you don't cut your hands on when you are fitting it :)

MikeG.":1qd54opo said:
Horticultural glass has often been used as a substitute for "antique" glass. It has more imperfections in it, and has the added bonus of being cheaper than ordinary glass. I agree with Rob, above, on the proviso that the glass isn't within reach of toddlers.

Horticultural glass is what I have always known it as also

It’s interesting the reference to horticultural glass, bloody nasty stuff. Coincidentally I have just ordered a new greenhouse and all the glass is laminated.

I used to be a toddler a while back, and I don’t remember it being any more painful cutting myself back then than it is now :?

Back