Live edge table legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a slab of cedar with a big knot in it that I thought might be best used in a live edge table. I have flattened it, filled and sanded it. It looks ok and am sure that with the right finish it will look the part in my daughter’s cottage.

However, I find myself unable to decide on the undercarriage. I am just not wired up to do ‘rustic’, I can only handle straight lines and mathematically predictable curves!

Attachments

• ABC20D85-EC03-46F2-A3D2-041E886AC963.jpeg
    ABC20D85-EC03-46F2-A3D2-041E886AC963.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 492
A stump naturally flares out at the bottom so flatten the top and bottom of the roots and attach the top you have to it. It get 4 branches and put them in the corners like a stool.

Pete

Completely a matter of personal taste but I would go for metal legs, just a nice balance of organic and inorganic.

What about some 'milking stool' legs tenoned into a couple of stretchers in the way Derek Cohen has done in his current thread? Could be really effective if you give them a rhomboid profile so the foot is square in section where it hits the floor.
Hope some of that makes sense :D

Have a look at George nakashimas work he made some very nice slab tables

Pete

each to their own, but I am struggling to find beauty in that slab.

Nice slab, I am jealous.

For a couple of projects, I have made legs starting with a square piece softwood, and clad it so three sides are covered in oak, and the fourth face is a slice of waney . The ends of the oak on either sides are bevelled.

The idea being so it looks like the centre of the leg is still live.

No idea if that made any sense, but the advantage is the leg is (overall) still square, so can be attached via normal geometrical joinery.

You need to find your inner Hobbit. Be the Hobbit, see The Shire, breathe in the woodsmoke and the smell of grasscuttings, and then make this:
e07e185c13ef88147c5303a683b6e12e.jpg

Latest posts

Back