Hollow forms and pot.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Couple of recently finished pieces, the Hollow forms were coloured with Chestnut Spirit stains and Lacquers.

Macktop-HFsm-3.png

Macktop-HFsm-1.png

Macktop-HFsm-2.png

Macktop-HFsm-4.png

Tall-HF-1.png

Tall-HF-2.png

Tall-HF-3.png

The Olive Ash sweet pot, I am not wildly happy about this one, the lid is a poor fit and ungainly in the size of the lid base component.

Sweetpot-1.png

Sweetpot-2.png

Sweetpot-4.png

Concur with the comments of Nev. & Derek; exemplary examples of the art of blended colouring and finishing.

Thanks Derek and Chas! Always appreciate your views. Thanks too Pete, the first HF is about 8 inches wide and 4 inches high, the tall one is 12 inches tall and 5.5 inches wide.

Unsure as to whether to view these as levels to aspire to or acknowledge my limitations now and sell my recently acquired lathe ofore turning anything on it? Lovely work. how do you achieve those finishes?

Lonsdale73":6bfk30lf said:
Unsure as to whether to view these as levels to aspire to or acknowledge my limitations now and sell my recently acquired lathe ofore turning anything on it? Lovely work. how do you achieve those finishes?

Whenever you see things like this it gives you something to aim for even if it may take a few years just keep practicing after all Kim did not start making things like he has now like everyone started at the bottom so to speak

Lonsdale73":1qexa2ru said:
…. Lovely work. how do you achieve those finishes?

Here You Are ...A blow by Blow account of the sort of steps needed. Patience is also a skill, and Kim has that in spades.

(Leaflet formatted for double sided printing, if you don't have that facility just read in order of page numbers.)

CHJ":2snds3u9 said:
Lonsdale73":2snds3u9 said:
…. Lovely work. how do you achieve those finishes?

Here You Are ...A blow by Blow account of the sort of steps needed. Patience is also a skill, and Kim has that in spades.

(Leaflet formatted for double sided printing, if you don't have that facility just read in order of page numbers.)
Well that's an imposition! Thanks very much.

Fabulous work - and great finishing! I especially like the colours on the collar of the top hollow form. Gorgeous all round though!

The finish on the hollow forms is beautiful. Inspiring work, thank you for posting.

KimG said:
Couple of recently finished pieces, the Hollow forms were coloured with Chestnut Spirit stains and Lacquers.

Macktop-HFsm-3.png

kim,

I fancy having a go at a finish similar to these. what wood species would you suggest, any in particular that are most suitable?

(I don't have a lot so would buy a couple of blanks)

Hi Marcros, a fine grained timber is usually easier as the lacquer tends to draw-in to more coarse grained wood, though it can still look good (Ash is a typical example of a coarse grain) Sycamore is very good as are various fruitwoods, Holly is also a good finegrained wood. These are timbers which should be readily available and reasonably priced.

Do let us know how you get on!

I certainly will.

I will get a couple of sycamore blanks to start with, they were cheap enough to have a go with. I also found your YouTube channel which showed me perfectly how to apply the stain.

Back