Disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Established Member
Reaction score
Help! I went to replace the sandpaper on my 5” disc sander. I found that the original piece of sandpaper was not going to come off. It seems like it has welded itself to the metal disc. All I can think of is that the heat generated by sanding has turned the adhesive backing into some type of monster.
Anyone know how to get this off? Impossible to put new sandpaper on until I get the first one completely removed.

Thanks

John

A heat gun will make short work of softening the adhesive and peeling off the old disc. If you haven't got a heat gun you could soak the disc in acetone or meths which will eat away the adhesive so you can scrape the old disc off.

White spirit or wallpaper stripper, wallpaper scraper, spray can label remover, etc.
When you do get the disc clean, buy an adaptor that allows you to use velcro backed pads and youll never have this problem again. 8)

You guys have saved this crazy Canadian. I had no clue what to do. Never had this problem before.

Thanks so much

John

Just followed your excellent advice. That sucker came off very easily with the heat gun.
Thanks so much again.

John

Latest posts

Back