Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve added a drawer to my workbench (following the Paul Sellers video).

Making things for the workshop has been a good way of practising different joints (the drawer added half blind dovetails, housing dados and wedged tenons to the repertoire) and techniques whilst still getting something useful out of it. If it’s not absolutely perfect it’s not the end of the world because it’s just a workbench, and it’s only made from pine rather than rare and expensive timber.

I might now be getting to the point where I can do something “for the house”...

196C3750-05D0-4B33-8AD7-974BF5D4355F.jpeg

CA37624D-6E99-4854-94E4-2AE6BF6ADE41.jpeg

32FEA147-5FAC-4D7B-BC7D-5FCA1354CA01.jpeg

7BE7F7C1-A753-4F8A-BDF8-1481E4C1A5BF.jpeg

Attachments

• 196C3750-05D0-4B33-8AD7-974BF5D4355F.jpeg
    196C3750-05D0-4B33-8AD7-974BF5D4355F.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 456
  • CA37624D-6E99-4854-94E4-2AE6BF6ADE41.jpeg
    CA37624D-6E99-4854-94E4-2AE6BF6ADE41.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 32FEA147-5FAC-4D7B-BC7D-5FCA1354CA01.jpeg
    32FEA147-5FAC-4D7B-BC7D-5FCA1354CA01.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 7BE7F7C1-A753-4F8A-BDF8-1481E4C1A5BF.jpeg
    7BE7F7C1-A753-4F8A-BDF8-1481E4C1A5BF.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 456
^That and the [very nicely executed!] drawer instantly fails as you can see exactly what's in it and easily pick what you want out of it. Please fill it with random junk (including an obligatory tattie masher to really pineapple things up) ASAP.

lurker":1l21fvyx said:
That drawer knob looks like it is at a potentially eye watering height

Ha. A clash of knobs (as it were) is never a good thing...

In seriousness, I wondered whether the knob might get in the way and considered having a cut out at the top of the drawer so I could get a hand in to open it (with the downside of letting dust in). In the end I was impatient to get it finished and had the knob left over from a kitchen. I'll see how it goes.

Nelsun":25dr6kwg said:
^That and the [very nicely executed!] drawer instantly fails as you can see exactly what's in it and easily pick what you want out of it. Please fill it with random junk (including an obligatory tattie masher to really pineapple things up) ASAP.

It won't be long before it's overflowing with junk (or stuff that will "come in handy one day even if I never use it").

you should see my drawer nick compared to that it looks like a bomb site, but everything in it is useful :D will make a tray when I get time to make it more organised, you've done a great job on the bench

MikeG.":3oq8zpb8 said:
NickM":3oq8zpb8 said:
You could make a half-length sliding tray to sit on top of the liner/ divider arrangement, to keep smaller stuff in. It can then slide backwards and forwards to allow access underneath, and lift out to get to bigger items.

That's a good thought. Thanks

IMG_2377.JPG

Side table made to order for one of my daughters. Poplar painted with Farrow & Ball Railings (not my choice and a brand of paint I always find "sticky" to apply). It's a design by Richard Maguire but I just made it rather than following the videos.

IMG_2381.JPG

Oak top - it was my best edge joint yet (thanks to reading an old post on here from a member known as Custard!) but I didn't like the change in grain so added a couple of walnut lines to disguise it. The top is symmetrical - picture taken on an angle.

IMG_2380.JPG

I had a piece of veneered plywood hanging around and used it for the drawer bottom - complete overkill!

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 255
That's lovely work, BSW. If I remember correctly the F&B own paint is clay-based and eye-wateringly expensive? I've only ever used the F&B colour palette as it's very popular at the moment and had it mixed by other companies.

Love that Blackswanwood. Very different (by several leagues) from my latest offering, a desk for my youngest boy.

I've been wanting to try a brushed finish and he's getting to an age where he's needing a desk so here we are. Made from sleepers so, as they'll do a merry dance, it's a basic rustic job which fits nicely with brushing.

I dyed the top to save it being one massive lump of brown... or the same brown anyway. Believe it or not, the top and legs were at one point all flat, square and silky smooth. The apparent joins in the top were added after glueing it up.

Thanks and credit for the offset housing joints in the legs goes to MikeG. A lovely touch I'd never have thought of and will use again.

a104620e8c51686f191cb49905732208.jpg

Damo you were in on the pre planning committee at best.
:wink:
Once the construction team has completed works you will be contracted to maintenance. Forever. Your wage will consecutively drop per annum in perpetuity. All perks and benefits will become inadmissible or at the least fully audited and examined. Time off and sick pay will be reconsidered and having been reconsidered will in due time will be made involuntary.
All perks and off site benefits formerly tolerated by management will be thoroughly examined on pro rata basis and generally 'exclusioned'.
However.
All on site benefits will be reconsidered and offered as part of an ongoing mutual benefit package that advantages all concerned parties.

What in essence is given away will be taken back a thousand fold. That's just in laughter. Nevermind the rest.

Congratulations Damo.

Today I made a sword in record time from oak. Oak.... because no one gave me any notice it was for a school shizzle tomorrow. Tomorrow.

Book day. My lad is going as summat or other to do with Percy Jackson and the retelling of the Greek gods?
All heroes need a sword...
Two hours on a Sunday and the little pipper had the Jacob's to ask for a pommel and cross guard.
After explaining design briefs and compound angles he agreed to stfu.
Factor in the Inca playing games and having to reset the whole saw ... Did alright in the end. Only post for laffs.
equixn0.jpg

Couple of things done recently, first up a...

IMG_4282.jpg

...fairly chunky old mug tree made as a last minute request from No.1 son in Londres. Oak with American Cherry pegs and to give an idea of scale that base is a full 45mm thick.

Second up a picture; an original antique woodblock print of Nagoya Castle, Japan:

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

Framed in English Walnut with Bog Oak splines, professionally cut double 'Hayseed' mount with 'clarity' non-reflective glass - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4256.jpg
    IMG_4256.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 614
Bm101":3tb9rfyr said:
Damo you were in on the pre planning committee at best.
:wink:
Once the construction team has completed works you will be contracted to maintenance. Forever. Your wage will consecutively drop per annum in perpetuity. All perks and benefits will become inadmissible or at the least fully audited and examined. Time off and sick pay will be reconsidered and having been reconsidered will in due time will be made involuntary.
All perks and off site benefits formerly tolerated by management will be thoroughly examined on pro rata basis and generally 'exclusioned'.
However.
All on site benefits will be reconsidered and offered as part of an ongoing mutual benefit package that advantages all concerned parties.

What in essence is given away will be taken back a thousand fold. That's just in laughter. Nevermind the rest.

Congratulations Damo.

Today I made a sword in record time from oak. Oak.... because no one gave me any notice it was for a school shizzle tomorrow. Tomorrow.

Book day. My lad is going as summat or other to do with Percy Jackson and the retelling of the Greek gods?
All heroes need a sword...
Two hours on a Sunday and the little pipper had the Jacob's to ask for a pommel and cross guard.
After explaining design briefs and compound angles he agreed to stfu.
Factor in the Inca playing games and having to reset the whole saw ... Did alright in the end. Only post for laffs.
equixn0.jpg

Ahahaha haha!!!

Back