New Wooden Handled Screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using an old set of Stanley type C screwdrivers (the black handled ones) for sometime now and while they are great i could do with longer narrower handled ones more suited to engineering. Gathering the engineering type of these Stanley ones second hand would take ages as they aren’t that common, so i am wondering about new sets, but I have a dislike for plastic handles so that rules out most modern ones.

Does anyone know of top quality new wooden handled screwdriver sets?

Rorschach":3acklle6 said:
Why not make your own handles?

Many Moons ago Alf, once of this parish Made a set of London Pattern Handles, Searching her archived Blogs might turn up the article. but I suspect it was in the projects section of her web site.
Alf'sChisels.png
chiselhandles02.jpg

Edit:- August 10 2006 was the date but as suspected actual making details where on the now defunct Cornish Workshop web site.

Attachments

• Alf'sChisels.png
    Alf'sChisels.png
    867.6 KB · Views: 899
  • chiselhandles02.jpg
    chiselhandles02.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 892
Beautiful, far nicer than any commercial sets I have seen.

I suspect commercial ones don't come in the modern shapes either like Pozi or Torx.

Felo, Wiha and Grace all make wooden handled screwdrivers.

The grace screwdriver is a common pattern seen here in the states, though less so now that $10 for a set of screwdrivers is seen as typical and Grace are probably about $40 for 8.

Grace are USA made and popular with gunsmiths (where an errant turn can lead to loss of money (gunsmiths work for a pittance here), but probably overpriced anywhere outside of the US.

For an engineering environment with a fair bit of oil, grease and grime about, wooden handled tools are probably best avoided. They become pretty filthy with ingrained muck no matter what you do, and there's no way of cleaning them without deep abrasion. The same applies to handles with 'soft inserts'.

This is one instance when metal or plastic handles are better - they can be wiped clean.

D_W":16abd1df said:

The grace screwdriver is a common pattern seen here in the states, though less so now that $10 for a set of screwdrivers is seen as typical and Grace are probably about $40 for 8.

Grace are USA made and popular with gunsmiths (where an errant turn can lead to loss of money (gunsmiths work for a pittance here), but probably overpriced anywhere outside of the US.

I was just looking at the grace ones, for general interest.

Over your side of the water, David, on a couple of sites that I chose (LV and Tools for Working Wood), the sets are slotted and Philips. Are pozidrive not used over there? Over here, I would say that Philips are rarer outside of electrical. I could risk chucking away the Philips screwdrivers that I have and not be inconvenienced too often.

Rorschach":20m1a84i said:
Why not make your own handles?
Literally my first thought.

Rhyolith, unless you're looking only for flat-head and Philips I think you'd struggle to find a suitable commercial product as it is, so a semi-homemade approach may be the only option anyway.

Buying plastic-handled screwdrivers which have long enough shafts for what you want, getting the handles off (usually dead easy, with multiple viable methods), then making your own handles to fit them to isn't a huge project and shouldn't overwhelm anyone with a bit of woodworking under their belt. Really the hardest part for many would be sourcing the wood!

OP refers to "longer narrower handled... engineering type" screwdrivers, based on which I'm visualising something obviously quite different to what others are thinking of.

marcros":3a5czif9 said:
D_W":3a5czif9 said:

I was just looking at the grace ones, for general interest.

Over your side of the water, David, on a couple of sites that I chose (LV and Tools for Working Wood), the sets are slotted and Philips. Are pozidrive not used over there? Over here, I would say that Philips are rarer outside of electrical. I could risk chucking away the Philips screwdrivers that I have and not be inconvenienced too often.

pozi are not common over here. Square, torx and phillips are the most common. Anything else generally comes with the drive bit in the box on the assumption that the buyer won't have it.

Marbles make decent pozidrive ones but avoid the slot headed,a set I bought a couple of years ago were very poorly made and had to be returned the replacements weren't much better.A very kind Secret Santa made me a set of slot head ones which are in regular use.

kevinlightfoot":3624x1rm said:
A very kind Secret Santa made me a set of slot head ones which are in regular use.
I'm sure whoever made them will be very pleased to know that :wink:

Latest posts

Back