Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. Lovely boards, without any screw holes or damage by the look of it. It's amazing what good wood still gets thrown away. Plus you get a made to measure piece exactly as required.

Looks great

Fitzroy":3opu1y7q said:
I stupidly edge jointed the boards with the grain running the opposite direction on the two boards. This combined with the wood having a real tendency to tear-out made planing the top flat a long process. Sharp irons and fine shavings were the only way forwards.

Fitz.

I recently made the same error ... the side table it forms part of has sat at the side of the workshop for two months since as I can always find another project to work on rather than get round to sorting it!

Grain is worth checking when using plugs, as well, especially in places you can't easily use a tool from one side. It's beyond irritating when you carefully shave the excess off the top of a plug only for it to break out the grain below the top of the workpiece.

AndyT":3ixenfid said:
It's amazing what good wood still gets thrown away.
You aren't kidding Andy. The Mrs came home from fitness class the other day.
'Want some wood? '
Eh?
'There's a fella at fitness who has some wood you can have. He bought his house off a retired woodworker and the garage was full of wood. He's been cutting it up and chucking it in the wood burner.'
My mouth is wide open.
'We got talking and he's a builder and he said you'd be welcome to it. He knows it's nice wood but couldn't be bothered to sell it. '
*My hand is on table to steady me and I'm trying to second guess the situation.
I know it's useless asking for any more details because for most people wood is just wood and I'll have to champ at the bit and be patient.
I'm hoping for a windfall but chances are it's some what less of a bonanza. Turning blanks possibly?
Live in hope eh?!?

Nice table Fitz! :D

Bm101":1bn5bkju said:
I'm hoping for a windfall but chances are it's some what less of a bonanza. Turning blanks possibly?
Live in hope eh?!?

I imagine the value of some timbers that have been chucked in the fireplace or landfill over the years must be staggering. I stole four 8x8" turned Cuban Mahogany pool table legs out of a skip once, you simply can't get that timber anymore and it was just going to landfill or someone's log burner. I gave them to a friend who was desperate to have them to make something with them but I did keep a carved section for myself to do something with, one day...

This guy is a bit of fresh air, goes to show you don't need to spend hundreds on wood to actually make something.

[youtube]NqZJ01sNQuw[/youtube]

Even his university office he decided having someone make something with fresh materials would be too costly for the university so he scavenged a bunch of old MFC desks and random bits of wood and made something serviceable. It's not winning any beauty contests but it goes to show with a bit of initiative you can build something with practically anything if you put your mind to it.

[youtube]8QpFFB1QHto[/youtube]

Funnily enough I watched his video of running along an old railway line maybe 6 months ago. He's a bit Aussie (loud :lol: ), but well worth a watch.

Don't know how this will go down with the old guard on here as no hand tools were harmed in the making of it, it has "feature" through dominos and could be argued that it looks like it cost £50 from Ikea.....

It's a toy box with removable centre panel (can be blanket box once the child has grown up), birch ply finished with Osmo poly x. Contrasting through dominos to add a bit of interest, the customer teaches sewing and likes how it looks stitched together. Holes in the side are for rope handles which the customer is adding.

blanket box 1.jpg

blanket box 2.jpg

blanket box 3.jpg

Attachments

• blanket box 1.jpg
    blanket box 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 528
  • blanket box 2.jpg
    blanket box 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 528
  • blanket box 3.jpg
    blanket box 3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 528
Not sure who the old guard are... But that looks well designed, well made and practical.

Here's a Couple of wardrobe runs we made and are installing this week. Not finished yet, hence no handles and the mess

MxEiAEe.jpg

Dkd5Q4R.jpg

I thought twice about sharing this after marvelling at Bob’s lovely work :shock: , but here’s a stool I made with pine left over from my workbench.

The design (which I made up) is a bit chunk really, but it’s only for me to rest my pins on in the workshop.

It was good practice for other things. It has slightly splayed legs so has lots of angled mortise and tenon joints.

C2E3C005-8715-45A1-AC78-B959A3CB1926.jpeg

FFBF2A14-959F-40D4-A735-EE295CECA592.jpeg

Attachments

• C2E3C005-8715-45A1-AC78-B959A3CB1926.jpeg
    C2E3C005-8715-45A1-AC78-B959A3CB1926.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 507
  • FFBF2A14-959F-40D4-A735-EE295CECA592.jpeg
    FFBF2A14-959F-40D4-A735-EE295CECA592.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 507
NickM":3m33apcx said:
I thought twice about sharing this after marvelling at Bob’s lovely work :shock: , but here’s a stool I made with pine left over from my workbench.

The design (which I made up) is a bit chunk really, but it’s only for me to rest my pins on in the workshop.

It was good practice for other things. It has slightly splayed legs so has lots of angled mortise and tenon joints.

I'm still waiting to produce something worthy of posting, but if we all wait until we are at the the level of the resident masters, it's going to be pretty thin pickings in here.

Regarding being sturdy, we all know at some point you will be kneeling on the stool with a piece of wood and a handsaw, so spindly and fragile has no place in the workshop. It's actually a comfortable trestle, and a very well made one, at that.

Nice simple lathe stand, basically a fancy sawhorse with a flat top added to it. Beech legs, poplar crossbeam, oak top, pine footing (can you tell I'm using up whatever I had to hand?)

2020-02-16-14.27.43a.jpg

Now all I need...

2020-02-16-14.47.25a.jpg

That's better :D

2020-02-16-17.53.46a.jpg

And I did give it a quick test with some spindle turning before bolting everything down and the vibration is minimal even before bolting stuff down. The splay and rake on the legs really helps. If it turns out that small bowls get it to try to walk across the floor, I still have the option of screwing the footing down to the floor.

79776039-34FD-4191-A341-85BCBEF81D66.jpeg

What you get when the timber your using is all over the place and requires a lot of material taking off to get it straight.

Roughly 5.5m linear of 20cm wide boards that started c.50mm thick and ended up 32mm thick which was about max I could get due to twist, bow, cup, you name it!

Fitz.

Attachments

• 79776039-34FD-4191-A341-85BCBEF81D66.jpeg
    79776039-34FD-4191-A341-85BCBEF81D66.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 387
Not that exciting but a gate I've just finished for my Sister in law it's construction broke the monotony of machining timber, made from air dried English Sweet Chestnut

IMG_20200220_152310-0.jpg

IMG_20200220_152238-0.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_152310-0.jpg
    IMG_20200220_152310-0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20200220_152238-0.jpg
    IMG_20200220_152238-0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 316
Doug B":te8sg7i5 said:
Not that exciting but a gate I've just finished for my Sister in law it's construction broke the monotony of machining timber, made from air dried English Sweet Chestnut

9-10 screws per board!? I think the Titanic had fewer fasteners! :lol:

Looks lovely Doug.

Trevanion":1a3jev99 said:
Doug B":1a3jev99 said:

9-10 screws per board!? I think the Titanic had fewer fasteners! :lol:

Looks lovely Doug.

Belt, braces then a couple of cable ties for good measure :lol: :lol:
Though in my defence her existing gate has lost some of its timbers as it’s in a very windy passage way & even though it has a self catching latch it can shut with a bang on occasion (hammer)

MarkDennehy":3gopj9q6 said:
Nice simple lathe stand, basically a fancy sawhorse with a flat top added to it. Beech legs, poplar crossbeam, oak top, pine footing (can you tell I'm using up whatever I had to hand?)

2020-02-16-14.27.43a.jpg
If you were within striking distance of Salisbury I could have given you free n'gratis a couple of really heavy cast iron brackets and legs meant for a Nova lathe stand (sent to me in error by Yandles) - Rob

Just finished this table, following plans and video from The English woodworker.
Unfortunately not very stable, so planning to redo one with frames on each side.

910e80dd4e61e893b7fd3a034305a15e.jpg
63dfba69841165e93fe71fc0716913a9.jpg
811f6c35528fdcfe8ada496412c28b73.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I actually made this a couple of months ago, but decided to round off the edges and flatten it again as it had moved a bit, used a no80 cabinet scraper. I therefore had to re-finish it and used chestnut food safe oil, it gives a nice satin finish, haven't tried wetting it yet so we'll see how it holds up against water.

Breadboard End Cutting Board QS Beech 4 by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Breadboard End Cutting Board QS Beech 2 by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Breadboard End Cutting Board QS Beech 3 by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Breadboard End Cutting Board QS Beech 1 by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back