Vehicle information scam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
Another saga when I changed from diesel to petrol last year because the car wouldn't pass the MOT. I sold the diesel to We-Buy-Any-Car and it was an interesting and a little painful experience. When the guy from We-Buy-Any-Car had had a look at the Citroen to assess putting right any damage he showed me the MOT history on the web. It details every pass and fail and the reasons. Can't have helped mine was there with a very recent fail.

When I started looking for a petrol car I thought I wonder if the MOT information is available for a private buyer. I turned up a site called Vehicle Information and for £0.50 you have a day's access to 5 cars. I thought it was a Government website (silly person).

Just had my credit card bill and there are three transactions of £5.95 to Vehicle Information which I had not ordered. Had a quick check on-line and there are lots and lots of people being charged multiples of £5.95 without authorisation.

Rang the credit card company and their attitude was "not our fault you ended up on a dodgy site" Suggest you ring them and ask to be taken off their database. My response "cancel the card" and when I've paid off the balance I'll close the account.

Have subsequently found there is a Government website where you can get the information. Just be careful where you get the information.

Regards Keith

If you did not authorise the payment or were duped by the website it’s fraud. As a minimum I would have expected them to consider a chargeback which is explained here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopp ... hargeback/

It would be worth calling them back and saying you want to raise a complaint. They cannot refuse to register your complaint and are required to give you an explanation in writing if they reject it.

We are selling a cello on Gumtree. My wife re-listed it this morning. Within seconds she had someone asking if it was still for sale, to which she replied yes. A reply came back claiming that his app. was not working on his phone, could he have her email address, to which she replied that she only gives her email address to known sources. She never heard any more from him.

Nigel.

A lot of gumtree is bots. They appear to ask sensible questions, even making offers in some case but are automated. Not saying that it was here.

Blackswanwood":ljc5j0nz said:
If you did not authorise the payment or were duped by the website it’s fraud. As a minimum I would have expected them to consider a chargeback which is explained here:

It would be worth calling them back and saying you want to raise a complaint. They cannot refuse to register your complaint and are required to give you an explanation in writing if they reject it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't authorise the payment and it is fraud. It was the attitude of the credit card company towards fraud that amazed me. I am writing to them today to ask for an explanation and a refund but this is a card provided by a large high street retailer!

Regards Keith

Woodchips2":1l1g6sec said:
Blackswanwood":1l1g6sec said:

Thanks for the info. I didn't authorise the payment and it is fraud. It was the attitude of the credit card company towards fraud that amazed me. I am writing to them today to ask for an explanation and a refund but this is a card provided by a large high street retailer!

Regards Keith

If it's who I think it is, judging by your cryptic definition, then in my experience you should have it sorted out without further issue. Probably got an agent on a bad day !

You can get the MOT info for free. I use a really good app on my phone called Vehicle smart

RogerS":39ao1r7i said:
Woodchips2":39ao1r7i said:
Blackswanwood":39ao1r7i said:

Regards Keith

If it's who I think it is, judging by your cryptic definition, then in my experience you should have it sorted out without further issue. Probably got an agent on a bad day !

Thanks Roger, I hope so but I'm dealing with HSBC who provide the service for the retailer.
Regards Keith

Latest posts

Back