Oak Porch on Bungalow?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AveryPed

Reaction score
url]
Do you think you could add an oak porch (Open or enclosed) to this bungalow - its semi detached and the front living room has a side window, which is currently hidden in this picture. I am finding it hard to come up with a new porch design - that is modern. Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 767
Welcome to the forum. I believe there is a short trial period before new posters are allowed to add photos.

In the same way you can add fake stone cladding to a Victorian terraced house, or fibreglass oak-looky-likie "beams" to a Wimpey estate house or a 1970s red-brick pub, or stick some black 4x2s on the outside of a new build and pretend it's Tudor, of course you can add an oak porch to a bungalow. Whether it is in good taste is an entirely different question. Is this for you or for a customer?

MikeG.":l0nlu2t9 said:
.. I believe there is a short trial period before new posters are allowed to add photos....

Not quite, New posters can attach images with first post, the three post restriction is for off site image URL links, which is implemented to reduce off site spam images.

If it were me.... I would continue the brick work to match the original and then work from there with your design, maybe using oak.
Somehow I would design out the flat roof and blend in with the slope, that way any oak would look part of the whole.

The roof is the issue. No oak framed outshot would look right in that setting even with a pitched roof, but with a flat roof? No way.

Possibly consider a subtractive rather than an additive approach. If you have a good quality front door, do you need a porch at all? Remove existing and restore the original appearance.

The hand rails suggest some disabled usage? If you have room, you could be more creative. Move the porch forward by say 6 feet, and replicate the gabled roof line (but lower) to the left. This would make a bigger and more useful porch and if there is a disabled need the planners (if PDR cannot be used) will be more sympathetic. Whether you use oak or not I would certainly use a pitched gable roof and replicate the brick wall.

lurker":1ip15li3 said:
If it were me.... I would continue the brick work to match the original and then work from there with your design, maybe using oak.
Somehow I would design out the flat roof and blend in with the slope, that way any oak would look part of the whole.

I agree with this. Match the pitch of the roof and use a simple oak frame on matching brickwork - could look nice.

I'm hoping that someone comes up with a solution, I have the same setup and have yet to be able to come up with something that works!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

lurker":3vx6k9ww said:

El Barto":3vx6k9ww said:
........ Match the pitch of the roof and use a simple oak frame on matching brickwork - could look nice.

You can't blend anything in with the slope. There is no pitched roof that can work there unless you introduce a box gutter and two valleys, and that would look terrible. The only traditional roof that would work is "flat", in Code 6 lead with wood-cored rolls.

Given that nothing traditional is going to work there, if it were me I would go for something unashamedly modern. Stainless steel and glass, copper, zinc, round oak posts with stainless steel ends......that sort of thing.

How about a small gable over the porch that extends just beyond the front of the existing gable to break the line?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thank you for everyone who has commented. a few questions:-
1. Any specific designs / picture you can share on an ultra-modern porch, steel, zinc etc?
2. Can anyone share a small gable vs bigger gable picture so i can see how it would work?

AveryPed":kdn2b6zt said:
....... Any specific designs / picture you can share on an ultra-modern porch, steel, zinc etc?.........

:lol: I'm an architect. You want me to work free of charge? :lol:

This is a project I designed a few years ago. It isn't a porch, and it's got a pitched roof, but I might take elements of it to start a modern porch.

AveryPed":2eijgki5 said:
View attachment 22any comments - can this design work? - what happens behind the front gable and can it be tied into exisiting roof. We've taken the whole roof off, less rafters

I keep saying........that's got a flat gutter and two valleys. It looks cramped, forced, and out of place. Yes, you could make a porch of it. Sure. But it will always look second best, and nobody will thank you for having to get up on the roof regularly to clean out the junction between the two pitched rooves.

Catslide the roof, door on the side, market to very short people.

You're a trusting sort. I have your name and address and a picture of your house. Wonder if there's a shed full of tools in the garden and there's enough money about to pay for architects drawings. I might phone them later. Or you and represent them to ask for those payment details again. Claire the reception ist is a bit dizzy and misplaced them.
I'm not an wrongun. But I'd be good at it if I was.
Take your details off the internet my friend before someone else does.
Friendly advice.
Regards
Chris

Latest posts

Back