hedging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a hedge to plant and am looking for any recommendations for a nursery.

I need approx 100 hornbeam plants, 120/150cm. prices range from £3.03 to £3.70.

cheapest is https://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/carpinus ... zsQAvD_BwE

I would rather have decent plants than save 10% but I don't know one supplier from another. I would also be happy to pay an extra few % for a personal recommendation rather than take pot luck.

We've bought hundreds of hedging plants from a local supplier here on Gower called Coeden Fach.

Very good prices, but not sure how they could get the plants to Leeds.

5f685ece149beb1c0e8cc995b50f81c6.jpg

nabs":3glmb3sp said:
.......You had better get a wiggle on if you want bare rooted as the season ends soon.

Around here it's too late already. You plant your hedges around christmas. Blackthorn is starting to blossom already.

I would use these people. Their prices and stock quality (and quantity) are better than anyone else in the area. As an aside, they're been collecting and breeding beetle-resistant elms for the last 25 years, and have had a quiet campaign of planting going on for at least the last few years.

it is going to be a very early spring here too. Ashridge were still selling their bare root roses last week (I ordered some) but if the roses in my garden are anything to go by it must be getting to the point where they are starting to have too much growth to send out.

I will get some ordered this week and planted asap. spring hasn't quite made it here yet, but if the trees are coming from south of here they may be ahead.

Used Ashridge for loads of trees in the past. Very good stuff.
The only place I've had better hedging from was Nicholsons in Oxfordshire, don't know if they do mail order though.
I would recommend using 'rootgrow' mycorrhizal fungi when planting, it'll really boost the speed of establishment.

marcros":3gkyhg8a said:
I will get some ordered this week and planted asap. spring hasn't quite made it here yet, but if the trees are coming from south of here they may be ahead.
don't forget you can just heel them in until you are ready (cut a trench in the soil at an angle, poke them in and firm them up) - I have often left stuff heeled in until April and they always take when I eventually get round to planting them out.

PS good tip on mycorrhizal fungi - it really does make a big difference.

Back