Hollowing tool recommendation please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to get a (probably just one) hollowing tool. I'm looking to turn medium sized and up hollow forms from say about 150mm diameter.
Any suggestions for tools appreciated.

I’ve tried loads - Rolly Munro tool is excellent. Not cheap but having bought / sold quite a few it wins hands down.

Very much depends on your abilities, preferences and budget. I use the Lyle JAMIESON system, easy to use just a finger to control, I have used many other tools and systems over the years and have found this the best by far. Perhaps a visit to your local club or group I am sure there will be as many anwers as there are wood turners as we all prefer things slightly different to suit our needs and budgets. Good luck.....

I would go with the Roly Monroe one, I bought on after seeing him use it and it is amazing. Obviously practice is necessary to really get the best out of it. Interestingly, he has his lathe on ‘blocks’ and stands on a duck board to turn but removes this when hollowing so as not to have to stoop down to see inside the item he is making.
Dave

Have a look at the Crown revolution. I didnt like the standard tip but they do a carbide tip which was really good. Simon hope does something similar as well
Ian

Hornbeam":1k8nmrgt said:
Have a look at the Crown revolution. I didnt like the standard tip but they do a carbide tip which was really good. Simon hope does something similar as well
Ian
I bought the Crown mini revolution at Harrogate show and only used it a couple of times so far but seems pretty good to me.

I think you need to define medium size as to many it will mean different things. Also for large pieces do you have a supply of blanks.

Also many people have their own opinions of tools as they only have the one so do not have anything to compare to.

I have the crown system and for me and the sizes that I turn is ideal and a good tool however, I have not had the chance to use another brand so have no comparison to gauge it by.
If I want to go really big then I may look at another system

A friend lent me a Sorby tool with the ring in it. I found it very hard to use. Either too aggressive, like hollowing with a chainsaw or to small a cut and it blocked constantly

Latest posts

Back