Router table and router with lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grub screw does not touch the router bit so nothing gets marked. It tightens a clamp that grips the bit. As for the torque, there are torque screwdrivers that are used all the time by machinists to tighten carbide inserts in tool holders. If you aren't a fan there is no reason for you to get one. Lots of members make recommendations with the best of intentions for tools and accessories that suit them that might not suit someone else's way of working.

Pete

PS. I don't have a muscle chuck.

Thanks for the insight inspector.

My queries are genuine. Simply trying to understand why this would be preferable to a collet.

The MuscleChuck comes with a ball end T handled driver, it is also long enough that it clears the inset plate, please look at the information on it properly, the screw does not touch the bit.

What torque setting do you set your spanner too?

I really hated that Triton switch lock. Have my router permanently in the table and the switch lock was just annoying. Good news is that it's a quite easy operation to remove it. Just make sure to not start the router in the top, locked position, after the switch lock is removed. That's easy to avoid since the insert rings will collide with the collet nut when router is in top position, so you instantly know it's not in the "ok to run position".

http://cliffsgarage.tv/tips/tritonInterlock.html

I don't have a problem finding the switch but what really get's on my nerves is that the switch cover gets stuck all the time. Sometimes I'm unable to close it altogether.

I've stripped and cleaned the thing a couple of times and it's OK for a bit but I don't have time to do that all the time.

Also the depth stick thing seems to jam with dust after a while. Obviously because it's up-side-down all the time.

For the Triton why not lock the switch down and use a separate switch rated for the load on the side of the router table? Plug the router into it and control the router with the switch. When you want to do a bit change unplug the router and if you want to take the router out of the table unlock the switch and use it the way it was intended.

Pete

With the router enclosed in a dust box I don't get any problems with detritus blocking anything:

2014-11-28 06.17.32.jpeg

Attachments

• 2014-11-28 06.17.32.jpeg
    2014-11-28 06.17.32.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
Back