Thicknesser - Which do I keep: JET JWP-12 or Triton TPT 125

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddaccent

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. A bit of advice would be appreciated.

I bought a Triton TPT 125 Thicknesser last year, but recently have been given a JET JWP-12. I don't need both and I'm wondering which one to sell on. The JET is probably 10+ years old and the Triton is new. The JET has an 1800w motor, what look like better infeed/outfeed tables and the Triton has an 1100w motor, fiddly tables but it's new. I'm mostly planing aged hardwood boards.

I'd be much obliged for your thoughts.

No No No send me the Jet and I will pay the postage/courier and send you a few beers. =D>

If the jet is still going well then that would be my choice. The triton at 1100w is a bit lightweight especially for hardwoods.
Regards
John

Having owned both, keep the jet. The downfall to the triton are the blades. Unless you can sharpen them, oak makes a meal of them. Not to say that does not happen on the Jet. The blades on the jet last longer. Also the older model, may need the bushes checked, which is no big deal.

Personally I'd keep the Jet but you're in an ideal situation where you can do a side by side comparison and decide for yourself.

Thank you all for your advice. I have a new set of blades given to me with the Jet, so I'll fit those and do the side by side comparison and then see where things stand.

Mark Karacsonyi":2h0f9xfb said:
Having owned both, keep the jet. The downfall to the triton are the blades. Unless you can sharpen them, oak makes a meal of them. Not to say that does not happen on the Jet. The blades on the jet last longer. Also the older model, may need the bushes checked, which is no big deal.

Hi Mark. Thanks for that. How do I check the bushes?

Well (unsurprisingly) the JET wins. Although there is one design fault, which is that the extractor fitting points directly backwards over the outfeed table. Might need to get a 45 degree adapter to get the hose out of the way of the wood. Otherwise - very happy. Thanks for all your advice.

Back