Words you just can't pronounce.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As a spin off from the skonn/scoan row, it occurs to me that sometimes you don't even have a choice of how to say something because you simply can't.

For instance, Huawei. I've now run up the white flag and say either nothing or "hooey wooey". Everybody knows what I mean, especially if I mention 5G.

Andy Kev.":3jhgfos7 said:
...For instance, Huawei. I've now run up the white flag and say either nothing ...
Yup, say nothing. The Chinese government is listening :wink: .

Cheers, Vann.

Van Gogh
It doesn’t rhyme with cough nor go

A Dutch bloke told me his way and it sounds like me clearing my sinuses.
He said even the Dutch argue.

Apparently the great man was aware and that is why he signed Vincent.

On one of my first visits to Christchurch (NZ) I had difficulty with the very English names on some of their streets. I was told that Leicester St was not pronounced Lee-Chester, but Lester. Worcester St was not pronounced War-Chester, but Wooster. And Gloucester St was not pronounced Glou-Chester, but Glosster. So when asked where I was staying I told them it was a hotel in Manster St - but they said it was pronounced Manchester :roll:

Go figure.

Cheers, Vann.

If we're including place names, in Wales it's always very entertaining when people absolutely butcher the names like Llanelli, Tonypandy, Aberystwyth, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, Pontypridd, Tonyrefail, Rhydymwyn, Ynysybwl... it goes on! :lol:

Occasionally they do catch me out as well though :shock:

lurker":2bpqnas8 said:
For some reason I always stumble saying specific

I know someone that pronounces it as 'pacific'

One thing that REALLY annoys me is when people add an accent when they pronounce words/place names etc from another language.

Andy Kev.":184m7c0u said:
As a spin off from the skonn/scoan row, it occurs to me that sometimes you don't even have a choice of how to say something because you simply can't.

For instance, Huawei. I've now run up the white flag and say either nothing or "hooey wooey". Everybody knows what I mean, especially if I mention 5G.
Say it in Geordie Andy. Easy.
Hwa waaay pet.

:wink:

It constantly amazes me how many adults cant pronounce thirty thousand, or even something as simple as three.
(hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :evil:
And that includes one of the chasers who is supposed to be in the top 5 of the worlds best quizzers. Maybe it should be a question?

There was a wartime film comedy with Will Hay, where he was teaching german spies to speak English.
He managed to get them to say Slough correctly, but then they decided they had had enow. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Trevanion":2o38mhp8 said:
If we're including place names, in Wales it's always very entertaining when people absolutely butcher the names like Llanelli, Tonypandy, Aberystwyth, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, Pontypridd, Tonyrefail, Rhydymwyn, Ynysybwl... it goes on! :lol:

Occasionally they do catch me out as well though :shock:

Llan fair p.g.
Easy mate. 8)

When we lived up in the mountains my Mrs asked my Welsh speaking Dad about Dog a loo. My old man was properly baffled. Dog a loo? Yeh. Dog a loo. Pretty town on the A5. Swallow falls. Lots of woods.
The penny dropped.
Dolgellau?

:D She has never quite lived that one down.

About thirty years ago we were on holiday in Waunfawr. My wife went out to post a postcard when she was asked directions in Cymraeg. She obviously understood every word of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel.

Half the place names in Cornwall appear to be unpronouceable to BBC staff. There is a place mentioned by Vanessa Feltz twice one morning apparently called Tint - a - gel. :D

Crarrik is where I live. Not that you'd guess it from Carharrack. :D

I've never known how Doublebois near Dobwalls is pronounced.
It's obviously derived from the French two woods, or something similar.

Nigel.

Ah-sesseries

I find it quite funny when a very prominent young wood worker on the youtubes pronounces the Lie-in Lie-Nielson as the word for not telling the truth. You know, 'Lie'.

Back