Scones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top tip. Microwave them for about 15 seconds.

SOOOOOO much better.

The thought of having cheese with scones makes me physically sick.

Doug B":27ql5v13 said:
Steve Maskery":27ql5v13 said:
Air, that is the magic ingredient.

Indeed, I always use the rubbing method to incorporate air like sharpening a chisel :shock:

When I make pastry, or anything of that ilk (including scones), I think of all the lovely ladies I have ever known. Beautiful Belinda, Lovely Linda, Sexy Sue and Voluptuous Vera. Light, delicate handling. Aaahhhh.

But when I make bread, and to me help beat the living daylights out of it, I think of all the women who have made my life a misery. Deceitful Denise, Hateful Harriet, Miserable Mary and Wicked Wendy.

Names have been changed to protect the guilty.

"Skoon" the wee village in Scotland.
"Skonn" like MikeG said, wot yer all wittering about.
"Skoan" to rhyme with "stone" if you are from Sloan Square, W.C.1.

Now, griddle cooked or oven?? THAT is the real question after buttermilk.

P.S. anybody else call really thick batter, slow cook, pancakes " drop skonns" other than Tesco??

Sam.

In this neck of the woods, they're skons.

Scoans would be for people that drink their tea out of bone china cups with their little fingers stuck out. The sort of people who use doilies on their plates.

Other than that, I only have two words to say - Welsh Cakes.

"
I can assure you the area of Cornwall I inhabit is far from Sloane Square. "

Sorry Phil! :D I was down your way last summer and the young lass serving us at a tourist trap pronounced it that way, but her other posy airs and graces led me to believe she was a refugee from finishing school slumming it for the summer, not that it were local patois. Oops. :(

Sam

phil.p":193jd22a said:
Thank you. And we don't even possess a cup, let alone a bone china one. :D

Hmm. Interesting. So 'scoans' are common to them as use mugs, and those who use doilies. It's possibly one of very few things they have in common!

Erm - butter or no butter?

Pronunciation of Scone

There is on the internet, a map of the UK showing where each pronunciation is in the majority. Search Scone Map of UK

Surprisingly, London is not on its own for once!!

Phil

Talking of scones (rhymes with stones obviously), I tried to make some clotted cream (pronounced cloated cremm) as per the instructions on Youtube from Steve's Kitchen. The experiment failed miserably i.e. it just didn't clot up.

Any thoughts? For instance what fat content should the cream have that you use? Or could it just be that the heat control on my oven is not particularly accurate?

treeturner123":3o25uih7 said:
Pronunciation of Scone
There is on the internet, a map of the UK showing where each pronunciation is in the majority. Search Scone Map of UK
Surprisingly, London is not on its own for once!!
Phil

Interesting. I'd have thought Cornwall would have been bluer. I don't know of anyone of my generation who pronouces it skon............ but it's not surprising really, half of Cornwall is no longer Cornish, it's full of people who've fled the cities.

The Queen...just remind me how we pronounce the name of the stone inside her throne in the House of over-priveleged-hereditary-landgrabbers when Lizzie R. got coronated? :-"

Sam

MikeG.":e0qgmrpp said:
It's pronounced "skon". Glad I was able to settle that for you.

Now, as to the recipe.........buttermilk is the magic ingredient. If it doesn't have buttermilk they'll be OK today but nearly inedible tomorrow. If it does have buttermilk, you'll eat them all today anyway.

How the hell are you leaving fresh scones until the following day???

Skon.

I recently (2 weeks ago) did a cookery course with James Martin as the teacher. (It was fantastic). One of the things we cooked was scones. He is primarily a pastry chef (and a good one) by career and training. These were his main tips:

Tip 1 - Do not use cheap supermarket flour. Buy the best flour you can get your hands on. Preferably stone ground. It makes a massive difference.

Tip 2 - see Tip 1 and pay attention.

Tip 3 - work the mix with your fingers, not a machine and don't overwork it. Stop once you've got a decent crumb.

Back