Choice of chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone

Just popping a note regarding the choice of chuck.....I am looking at the Xact range and the 3” self centre got one looks good.however I think maybe the 4” 4jaw independant might prove more use in the long run...
I am running a Sealey sm42 with 3/4 16 tpi spindle...
Wondering if anyone has views on this ?

Thanks

Steve

Hi robbo
Yes I am an ex engineer...45 years in aerospace....thanks once again for the advice...
I presume most jaws fit this chuck...
I have also manage to turn something with those chisels I got off gumtree...ok not maybe too technical but small acorns eh...

Steve

Somebody once posted a list of what fitted what but I can't find it at the moment.
I think the Rutland and Charnwood 4 inch chucks are copies of the Record scroll chuck and jaws are pretty much interchangeable.
Axminster jaws only fit their own chucks as far as I know.
Tool post stock a system, Oneway IIRC, that can be expanded with sets of jaw carriers to suit most other makes.
Haven't used all of them so can't advise on which is best. The only thing I would say is get one with thread insert, that way you are covered when you upgrade the lathe.
Happy turning :D

Thanks tris......ive been looking and it seems the RP sc3 could be the choice...especially with the insert.also having read about it...the details suggest it could hold up to a 10 bowl...this being the ideal swing for my old machine...

Steve

The Record SC4 chuck would be a better option if there is there is the possibility you change your lathe in the future as that has the insert system to fit different lathes. I believe the SC3 is a dedicated thread system.

The tool post Versa chuck takes some beating you can fit various makes of jaws by using the relevent jaw carriers, I have a couple and they are very ACCURATE and easy to use.

Tris":ath66vyr said:
Somebody once posted a list of what fitted what but I can't find it at the moment.
I think the Rutland and Charnwood 4 inch chucks are copies of the Record scroll chuck and jaws are pretty much interchangeable.
Axminster jaws only fit their own chucks as far as I know.
Tool post stock a system, Oneway IIRC, that can be expanded with sets of jaw carriers to suit most other makes.
Haven't used all of them so can't advise on which is best. The only thing I would say is get one with thread insert, that way you are covered when you upgrade the lathe.
Happy turning :D
I posted a list of chucks noting those that were the same under different names
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wood ... 76139.html

Lazurus":3owoez4v said:
The tool post Versa chuck takes some beating you can fit various makes of jaws by using the relevent jaw carriers, I have a couple and they are very ACCURATE and easy to use.

yep i will 2nd that , very happy with my versa chuck, and it was by the far cheapest way to go when i changed lathes, as i could keep all my jaws and just buy the carriers to fit

Back