Shower tiles/grouting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric The Viking":2wr4oy47 said:
RogerS":2wr4oy47 said:
Don't whatever you do try bleach to clean the grout on marble tiles.

What's the issue?

I ask, because years ago, I had superb results using bleach to clean a Carrera marble overmantle* that had blue fountain pen ink spilled on it (someone knocked the bottle over on top!). The ink sank into the marble.

It is 30+ years ago, but IIRC, I made a pond using Plasticine and let a film of bleach sit on it for a few days - I didn't use very much, and I did test it first out of sight. I don't remember attempting to actually neutralise it, but just washing it off well afterwards. There was no damage from the bleach, and the piece was professionally polished afterwards: it came up beautifully.

But marble and acid - no way!

E.

*I think it really was Carrera - it was an early Victorian overmantle and worth a tricky restoration as it looked gorgeous when it was done. Someone had also fixed a double socket box to the front surface of one pillar, using Rawlplugs to hold the screws!.

Marble is alkaline. Bleach is acidic. Marble gets etched due to the chemical reaction.

Back