Help with identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
A very belated happy new year! Illness, family in hospital and minor surgery have delayed sorting at dad's workshop but I am back to it and have a few things for help with! As I don't know what they are I am never sure if I have posted in the right section so apologies if not!

Attachments

• 1581187528180image.jpg
    1581187528180image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 1581187417896image.jpg
    1581187417896image.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 1581187447557image.jpg
    1581187447557image.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 376
I'm not exactly sure what the first one in the brass sleeve is for, I think you're probably right when you say it might be some kind of depth stop for it though.

The second lot look like power augers (round shank) or maybe old-style bit and brace augers with the square taper tangs cut off.

The third lot are a mixture of old-style bit and brace augers and maybe some power augers, the one with the modern hex shank is definitely a power auger.

As far as value is concerned I have no idea but some brands like Mathieson, Ridgway and Irwin are more desired amongst the old bit and brace fogies :lol:

Thank you so much. If one lot of bits have been cut could they be used by anyone else?

Lindas":33iqsisw said:
Thank you so much. If one lot of bits have been cut could they be used by anyone else?

Yes, they could. The square taper end only works in a brace. A round end may have been wanted to use in a manual breast drill, which generally had a chuck designed for holding round stemmed bits. Worth adapting if you needed to make quite deep holes in wood. A bit odd to have so many the same size though.

Probably all usable unless worn out by repeated sharpening.

Many thanks Andy. I do like to at least know that I am listing. I'll take a look at their sharpness. Linda

Sheffield Tony":3i6na61m said:
Any with the right sized round shank for the boring machine Andy ?

Possibly, but I've got some nice ones which fit it well.
Well remembered though, the same thought crossed my mind.

Back