Tool roll for woodturning chisels/gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darylt66

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just started woodturning and have bought some turning chisels. Can anyone recommend any suppliers for cloth and/or leather tool rolls for storing wood turning gouges etc. (UK supplier)?

Thank you, Daryl

Make some cheap storage/racking. Rolls are really for sitework/transport.
Damp is the enemy of steel stored in fabric or leather for long periods.
If you want a tool roll cheap old leather coats or jeans etc.
Convinced you want to buy one then workshop heaven sell a nice one.

Are you wanting to transport the tools for a demonstration etc? In which case, I would go for a toolbox.

If they are for use, I would suggest either a rack or a trolley of some sort. There are arguments about points up and points down, but the tools are then nice and handy to use.

Looking at some options myself actually

I just opted for a £30 plastic shotgun case from decathlon. Pre lined with egg crate (?) style foam it has the length for my longest gouges that most toolboxes and bags don't.
I've put plenty of stickers on the outside in case anyone gets the wrong idea :)
Time will tell is it was a good idea...

The foam is fixed in with spots of hotmelt glue, this looks messy if the foam is pulled out so I'm leaving it in to start with.
I can get all of my kit in the case:
1x red
2x blue
1x gold of Simon Hopes handles each with a tool inserted

1 each crown cryo bowl gouges in 1/2 and 3/8 (The half incher is a decent sized tool and the 3/8" is the Ellsworth with it's v. long handle)

6x shorter tools (40-45cm long) with their fixed handles (roughing gouge, parting tool, couple of skews, scraper, etc)

Half a dozen unhandled inserts to fit the hope handles.

That fills it and It makes for quite a heavy boxful but closes up fine. I'll throw in a big bag of silica gel to keep the tools happy in storage (50 gram bags of orange / green are working great for me now I've learned how to dry them out and regenerate them in the microwave in about 15 mins - the trick is 1 min on full power to get them sweating, followed by 15 mins on defrost setting so they don't overheat and melt the bag).

I'm going to try and be good and not collect lots more tools, but if I fail there's the option to pull out the foam in which case I bet I could fit nearly twice as much in.

I should add that the tools have to be top to tail. If you're worried about edges, slide a bit of plastic tube over the sharp ends when putting away.
I was looking at making a clever case out of birch ply that would close for transport and open up flat and hang on my french cleats to work out of. The decathlon box is so much lighter than that would have been. Decently tough and resilient enough to cope with the knocks.

You might also find an aluminium flight case style thing meant for a gun or a small keyboard as another option but much more expensive.

Back