The Ups and Downs ...mainly Downs..of selling a flat.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger, it isn’t unusual for the sellers solicitor to have not received deposit funds prior to exchange. The buyers solicitor would (or should not) have exchanged without cleared funds to cover any required deposit being in their possession. The solicitors usually provide undertakings which are legally enforceable to avoid slowing things down. This link gives a pretty good explanation of how it all works

https://www.theadvisory.co.uk/conveyanc ... ompletion/

Personally I would not rely on an estate agent confirming funding is available. It is just too easy for an unscrupulous buyer to pull the wool over their eyes.

It’s a shame that this post has gravitated to a massive generalisation implying that various professions and people wearing suits are of dubious character. I generally enjoy this forum as a keen hobbyist woodworker who wears a suit and has not ripped anyone off in approaching 40 years of being a member of a profession.

A few thoughts for those who seem troubled by my sweeping statement.

Firstly, I spent the first six or seven years of my career wearing some very expensive, very sharp suits. I gave up both the suits and the career when its morally reprehensible nature became apparent. That's just me. You get to make your own evaluation of your own circumstances.

Secondly, ask yourself what, exactly a suit is. From the ever-reliable Wikipedia:
The current styles, founded in the industrial revolution during the late 18th century, sharply changed the elaborately embroidered and jewelled formal clothing into the simpler clothing of the British Regency period, which gradually evolved to the stark formality of the Victorian era. In the late 19th century, it was in the search for more comfort that the loosening of rules gave rise to the modern lounge suit.

So a suit is hankering back to British Regency, Empire national dress, which always amuses me when I see national world leaders sporting their British Empire-apeing apparel. All those associations of fair play, decency, honesty and stiff-upper-lip Britishness is wrapped up in the class warfare of the humble business suit. The toner cartridge salesman and the old Etonian are inextricably linked by it.

Now all of this nonsense I am positing is just a hypothesis - I am comfortable with it as a sweeping generalisation, but feel free to test my hypothesis, to destriction if need be. I am not wedded to it as a concept, and I am happy to be shown examples of real-world exceptions - there must be some out there, surely.

Finally, and at a tangent, I came across this website last night: https://swprs.org/media-navigator/

It is a Swiss (and therefore independent?) organisation, and rates media/news outlets based on their political bias, but also their connection to power. Interesting stuff. See how "independent" the people you get your "truth" from really are, and more fun, have a look at some of the actually independent news outlets, some of which you may never have heard from. There will be some mad conspiracy theory ideas in there too, but that is half the fun.

All of the above boils down to: "What are they really trying to say to me?" , and "What am I really trying to say to them?"

To quote Brian, "You have to work it out for yourselves. You are all individuals."

"If someone is wearing a suit, he is lying to you."

I spoke to a man in a suit the other day and asked him the time. 3.20pm was his reply.
Checking that on my own timekeeping device I found him to be telling the truth.

There you go, didn't take long to show you a real world exception that disproves your idiotic statement did it?
(homer)

Irish Rover":i3vz2qzk said:

I spoke to a man in a suit the other day and asked him the time. 3.20pm was his reply.

There you go, didn't take long to show you a real world exception that disproves your idiotic statement did it?
(homer)

I am trying to get my head around why you accosted a besuited stranger to ascertain the time when you already possessed means to do so about your person.

I wore a suit for the majority of my working life, I had a choice, wear one or choose a different profession. I was in sales then management and can honestly say I never ripped anyone off just as I didn't after starting my own business and ditching the suits.

There are times when imo it's still necessary to show respect and wear a suit such as this week when attending the funeral of my 45 year old niece, was I hypocritical or a liar during that time? Of course not!
There's nothing wrong with suits only with some of the people who wear them and those individuals will have the same character whatever they wear.. They can be viewed as a type of uniform little different than those worn by nurses and policemen so I find those kind of sweeping statements pathetic and a joke.

Brings back memories of when I was doing a C&G 7307 initial teaching qualification. One of the lecturers was a psychiatrist and as I had just finished a teaching session I was still wearing a tie which was a stipulation of the college even though I was freelance and part time.
She was dressed as many people would draw a cartoon character shrink if asked, wide billowing flowery dress, leather sandals, wild unruly curly hair, a large lady with no make up. She forcefully suggested that I had no need to wear a tie and should refuse and defy the rules, went further saying that applied to anyone in any type of work and everyone should be like her and wear the same for work as she did hanging around the house.
It developed into an heated argument where I told her if she came to me for an interview looking as she did she wouldn't get past the door. Would I trust her? What do you think? :roll:

I passed that section of the 7307 with flying colours which was a bit of a surprise.

RogerS":3auzn9z0 said:
SBJ":3auzn9z0 said:
So many hard done by people with chips on their shoulders. There are as many conmen and fraudsters who don't wear suits as wear them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yup. Vegans get such a bum deal.
Ive no idea what you're talking about[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

powertools":mlhlsens said:
Steliz":mlhlsens said:
Trainee neophyte":mlhlsens said:
If someone is wearing a suit, he is lying to you.

My apologies to anyone reading this who wears a suit habitually.

Do you generalise much?

If you have time to write an apology after an insult then just delete the insult instead.

I would assume that the fact that you seem upset by what TN said you wear a suit and are a professional of some sort.
I also assume that you intended to say ( If you dont have time to write an apology after an insult then just delete the insult instead) the fact that you didnt kind of proves the his point.

You make a lot of assumptions.

lurker":ogf4aqu7 said:
Irish Rover":ogf4aqu7 said:

(homer)

I am trying to get my head around why you accosted a besuited stranger to ascertain the time when you already possessed means to do so about your person.

Lucky for us that I did, because if I hadn't this craziness would have gone unchecked :)

Can we get back on topic....not that there was one..well, there was ..sort of.

So far I've learned that :-

1) deposits don't need to be part of the exchange of contract.

2) That estate agents are supposed to check that funds are available.

3) That the buyers solicitors are supposed to check that the funds are available and not from dodgy sources.

4) That solicitors close ranks as it was my solicitor who alerted me to (3) . I asked for confirmation ...buried away in an email on other things but no reply.

RogerS":398uxnum said:
Can we get back on topic....not that there was one..well, there was ..sort of.

So far I've learned that :-

1) deposits don't need to be part of the exchange of contract.

2) That estate agents are supposed to check that funds are available.

3) That the buyers solicitors are supposed to check that the funds are available and not from dodgy sources.

4) That solicitors close ranks as it was my solicitor who alerted me to (3) . I asked for confirmation ...buried away in an email on other things but no reply.

I seem to remember, many years ago, that I exchanged contracts even without the deposit in place, because I told my solicitor that the funds were on their way. Honest! Cheque in the post, sort of thing. Of course, that was Truro, where business is by word of mouth and trust and "my word is my bond", and the town where mortgage fraud was invented, by a solicitor, obviously.

Trainee neophyte":yudyprpw said:
the town where mortgage fraud was invented, by a solicitor, obviously.

That's uncalled for and pathetic TN. :roll:

I have no connections with any solicitors and have had the usual frustrations over the length of time they take and their costs but otherwise absolutely no issues. I have no doubt that there are bad ones as well as good but that's equally true across all professions and sectors of society.

I have used a variety of solicitors and there have been excellent, good, bad, lazy and incompetent as with any other profession or cross section of the population.

For most of my working life I have worn a suit, a requirement of the job, but it did not make me dishonest and I have met many dishonest people who did not wear suits. My current solicitor does not wear a suit and he is one of the better ones.

But we all get prejudices based on our own experiences so I cannot say any of the opinions above are not justified in the experience of the authors but we also have to accept that our experiences my not be typical. :D

Lons":1pc353yc said:
Trainee neophyte":1pc353yc said:
the town where mortgage fraud was invented, by a solicitor, obviously.

That's uncalled for and pathetic TN. :roll:

I have no connections with any solicitors and have had the usual frustrations over the length of time they take and their costs but otherwise absolutely no issues. I have no doubt that there are bad ones as well as good but that's equally true across all professions and sectors of society.

That wasn't (just) a dig at solicitors: we were all very proud in the late 80's to be the town that put mortgage fraud front and centre - as far as I am aware it had never been done before, at least not the the extent perpetrated by the much-liked, county-town solicitor who's name completely escapes me. He ran off to Spain and lived in exile for many years, before recently coming back to face the music because his mum was ill, if I recall correctly. Bizarrely, I can't find anything about it on the internet, but then this was around 1986-7, I think - we didn't do digital in those days. It was all very exciting and salacious at the time, and I knew just about all the bank and building society managers, who had all been taken in, and sent a great deal of money out in error. Apparently building society cheques were still arriving weeks after he had run off to avoid the rozzers. Truro doesn't have a great deal else to be proud of, or at least it didn't at the time. I haven't been back for many years - perhaps they have a new antihero now?

phil.p":1fa6aatt said:
Having dealt with a couple of hopeless solicitors (senior partners :shock: ) in Truro that doesn't surprise me.
I remember that solicitor, I knew his mistress. Not in a biblical sense. :D

But what was his name? Completely lost in the mists of time, and it is really annoying me now!

"I remember that solicitor, I knew his mistress". That is pure poetry.

Back