electric fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phil.p":k3328x4c said:
has anyone used an electric fence to keep dogs in?

Not on purpose, but dogs hate it! The first time they get zapped, they run a mile, so watch out for that - it may end up in Devon if you're not careful. I would worry if the area was too small; you will have your dog pinging from one side of the yard to the other - could be a YouTube winner, but not good for the dog.

It would help if there was a real barrier to go with it - i.e. a propper fence or wall, but then you wouldn't need an electric fence, would you.

Which reminds me - I have to go and move the pigs and their electric fence...

Trainee neophyte":3qbb1eff said:
... I would worry if the area was too small; you will have your dog pinging from one side of the yard to the other -.....

You owe me a new keyboard! I'd just sipped some mint tea when I read this. :lol:

It's for a small area, mostly along one boundary. It's an old hedge about six or seven feet high that he can jump up on and get out of on either end. I haven't anything solid enough to fix fencing or anything to. He's soft as muck but he's a rottweiler, and people crepe themselves when they see an unaccompanied rottweiler. Some of my neighbours nice as they are aren't happy unless they find something new to whinge about every day. I just cannot afford to have him go walkabout -he might lick someone to death. :D

phil.p":y7iz7wve said:
It's for a small area, mostly along one boundary. It's an old hedge about six or seven feet high that he can jump up on and get out of on either end. I haven't anything solid enough to fix fencing or anything to. He's soft as muck but he's a rottweiler, and people crepe themselves when they see an unaccompanied rottweiler. Some of my neighbours nice as they are aren't happy unless they find something new to whinge about every day. I just cannot afford to have him go walkabout -he might lick someone to death. :D

It should be fine, as long as he has somewhere to run away to. You may never get him out of the house again, but that's another issue. A single strand of wire will do it, but he may not work out what causes the problem. They use white tape for horses, but it won't look very pretty. BTW you don't have to buy the expensive poles and clips etc - a bit of pvc pipe around some rebar works just as well - tie the wire to the pole with something (string works, but wire is always good, too). Easier is to pop round to Mole Valley Farmers, who will sort you out and lighten your wallet considerably.

Forgot to mention that if you can borrow some fencing kit, you may find that after a few weeks he never goes near the hedge again, and problem solved. Depends on how bright your dog is. Numbnuts terriers would forget pretty quickly, or just attack the fence on principle. A lurcher would hide under the bed forever-more. Most dogs would be somewhere in between.

My neighbours have a system where the wire is buried just below the surface of their lawn. The dogs wear collars that give them a bit of a zap when they get near to it. They soon learnt where the boundaries are and stay in them. I was sceptical it would work but it seems to have.

RogerS":3qy64wxz said:
Trainee neophyte":3qy64wxz said:
... I would worry if the area was too small; you will have your dog pinging from one side of the yard to the other -.....

You owe me a new keyboard! I'd just sipped some mint tea when I read this. :lol:

So sorry! Would this work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PERIBOA ... 536&sr=8-5

Waterproof and Dustproof: Classic full-size keyboard with SGS certified IP 65 level; Durable laser print keys; No risk of liquid-spillage damage
Washable: Easy to clean with water and soft microfiber cloth; Do not immerse USB connector; Quick drying with drainage holes at the bottom
Applicable as Industrial and Medical Keyboard: Suitable for different kinds of environment, such as hospitals, restaurants and schools

Some of the neighbours have the collars that zap the dog when they are near or over the buried wire. The dogs will run along the property lines (acreages) just inside the danger zone.

I had an acquaintance with an uncontrollable dog. He got one of the collars but it didn't work. The dog was too determined or dumb :roll: to be deterred by the shock and was willing to take the pain to get out.

Pete

Inspector":q09r0wbk said:
Some of the neighbours have the collars that zap the dog when they are near or over the buried wire. ......

It is my understanding that these are now banned, and reports of dogs wearing them would be of interest to the RSPCA.

MikeG.":2gv7yedq said:
Inspector":2gv7yedq said:
Some of the neighbours have the collars that zap the dog when they are near or over the buried wire. ......

It is my understanding that these are now banned, and reports of dogs wearing them would be of interest to the RSPCA.
That's incorrect Mike, they are still allowed for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

phil.p":2h9eb387 said:

Phil...I do have a fence going spare that you can borrow to try out if you like. Will run off a battery charger or car battery.

https://dogfence.co.uk/dog-advice/can-i ... dog-fence/
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-22093514

So it looks like a yes and no answer. :roll:

I don't agree with training collars controlled by the owner with a fob (since in most cases it is the owner that needs the collar) or the sound activated bark collars used to stop noisy dogs. But when there is a big property that isn't fenced and the dog would take off, bite someone walking their dog or attack the dog, an underground fence is a solution. Once the dog learns the boundary the collar can be turned off and the dog stays on the property. For most people alternative is a chained up or caged dog and that opens up another can of worms.

We have Coyotes living in the area and one will lure a bigger dog away to play while the mate or the rest of the pack will circle around and kill it. The collar will keep the dog close to home and not become diner. Admittedly a problem you don't face.

Pete

MikeG.":23aughc1 said:
Trainee neophyte":23aughc1 said:
........it may end up in Devon if you're not careful.....

For which, of course, any sane dog would be eternally grateful. :lol:

You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

It may or may not work. My daughters German Wirehaired Pointer crashes through barbed wire fences, in fact anything, without a second thought. Had a £600 vets bill due to that, fortunately he's insured. I tried getting him to touch the electric fence at Kingston Lacey House to see if it would deter him as a lady I was talking to one day said it cured her Labrador. No, it didn't. He has a very strong prey drive, and that takes over.

Nigel.

Nigel Burden":2w8m4arm said:
It may or may not work. My daughters German Wirehaired Pointer crashes through barbed wire fences, in fact anything, without a second thought. Had a £600 vets bill due to that, fortunately he's insured. I tried getting him to touch the electric fence at Kingston Lacey House to see if it would deter him as a lady I was talking to one day said it cured her Labrador. No, it didn't. He has a very strong prey drive, and that takes over.

Nigel.

All German dogs are nuts. Says quite a lot about the Germans. I have a German friend who swears by Appenzeller Swiss cattle dogs. Psychotic, unmanageable lunatic dogs, which attack everyone and everything. Another German I met told me she had kept German shepherds for years, and showed me all the tooth mark scars on her arms as proof. I do quite hanker after a Weimaraner - pretty dogs, but I have no idea of the mentality.

I like longdogs - greyhound deerhound cross, wouldn't hurt a fly, lie on the sofa all day, and just can't quite hear you when they put up a hare and vanish over the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back