Wood + Jointer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron Currie's is just down the road from me. It's expensive and they are neither knowledgeable nor helpful. Conversation:

"Have you got any MRMDF?"
"What's MRMDF?"

I jest not.

And a mate of mine bought something, I forget what it was, but as he was putting it into his car he noticed it was not straight. He went back in to swap it and they refused. That's why I drive a bit further over to Rainworth.

Steve Maskery":h6a3bg1h said:
Ron Currie's is just down the road from me. It's expensive

Interesting observation. What would you expect to pay, e,g, for a 2.4m length of oak, 44x20mm? It's about £12.95 and I have no idea if that is good, bad or average.

Sorry, no idea, it's not the sort of stuff I would buy. But isn't that about 6.5K per cubic meter, or £185 per cu ft? Sounds expensive to me.

I had a similar experience at Ron Currys more a place for DIY than a woodworker.Not much idea and that's why I didn't reccomend them.

Steve and Kevin, well I must have been lucky, I went to them originally for Oak faced mdf as it was he only place local that had any, admit I've not used them a lot but what I have bought from them has been good.

bourbon":1f3uj5wn said:
+1 for Rowan Woodlands Products. Send them an e-mail with what you need. Next sale is 1st February, usual place.

We should all meet up for wood and cake!

Pete

bourbon":2de07oh7 said:
+1 for Rowan Woodlands Products. Send them an e-mail with what you need. Next sale is 1st February, usual place.

What’s the usual place? What are prices like for slabs and lengths?

Prices are good for air dried timber and the coffee and cake are excellent.

Venue: St Joseph's tea room, Abbey Grange, Oaks Road, Whitwick LE67 5UP

Pete

Brodie I have had a sort out and found a Stanley 60 1/2 block plane I can sell a couple of marking gauges and a mallet I can throw in. Are you interested?

Pete

One way of doing it, but generally if you want to do woodwork you don't buy wood and pay someone else to work it.
Would be simpler and cheaper to just go out and buy ready-made wooden things.
Just see it as a steep learning curve - having bought wood then how do you get it flat, straight, smooth, yourself alone, without calling in the cavalry?

Back