TV licence requirements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
If I had a tv and deleted all the BBC channels would I still need a licence? I watch netflix and record the odd programme from the tv. I always thought the licence just paid for the BBC channels but after alot of googling it appears I need one which ever channel I watch (ITV etc) Most of the content I watch now is via Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes they closed that loophole a few years ago by saying that you could watch via the iPlayer online. TV license I believe is on the same kind of level as dick Turpin.
Glenn

ColeyS1":2l6wdtru said:
If I had a tv and deleted all the BBC channels would I still need a licence? I watch netflix and record the odd programme from the tv. I always thought the licence just paid for the BBC channels but after alot of googling it appears I need one which ever channel I watch (ITV etc) Most of the content I watch now is via Netflix.

Yes, 'fraid so. If you own and use a TV, or download BBC output or BBC iPlayer content onto any device (not just a TV) you need to pay up, or they'll send the boys round. (Bit of a political hot potato currently, with moves being made to change the rules , but as things stand - own and use a telly, pay up or else.)

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

But say if all the bbc channels are deleted from the TV?

Oh I see, I need one just for having the tv. I thought it only paid for bbc programmes because they dont have any adverts in between the films/programmes

I'm not sure technically you do. You need a TV licence to watch live TV, live streamed programmes, or iplayer. Netflix isn't any of those.

You do not need a TV license to own a TV, just to operate it as above.

You will, however, be harassed by TV licensing until the end of time. Indeed, even if you don't have a TV at all you will be harrased, as they are incredulous that you might have found something worthwhile to do with your life instead.

I haven't had a TV licence for 17 years.
I used to get harassed but nowadays it's much more common.

You need a TV licence if:
A - you watch or record a live TV program as it's being broadcast, from any channel/source.

B - you watch BBC iPlayer TV shows, either live or on-demand

Add long as you don't do those, you don't need a TV tax, I mean licence.

I don't watch live TV or BBC programs. I'm not missing much.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2d6j4q8h said:
Oh I see, I need one just for having the tv. I thought it only paid for bbc programmes because they dont have any adverts in between the films/programmes

Incorrect. You can own TVs, just don't watch live TV from any source, or watch iPlayer.

MARK.B.":i7lzjkxc said:
The short answer is yes if you have a TV then you need a licence.
That's not true anymore.

MARK.B.":h4r9r0qu said:
The short answer is yes if you have a TV then you need a licence.

not true, you can use it purely as a screen to play games through or watch VHS tapes on without needing a license. It is BBC propaganda.

I've not had a TV for over 8 years. I don't think that my life is lacking anything as a result. Indeed, when I go over a my friend's house and the telly is on it really annoys me. I don't like it.

You do not need a TV license just because you have a television set in the house.

You DO need a licence if you want to watch the BBC (Live or iPlayer, but not legacy stuff on YouTube), or any other terrestrial channel (ITV, Channel4 etc) live. Catchup for those is still OK, I think, unless they have changed the rules in the last few years.

When the TLM* knock on your door, you are not obliged to let them in. You can, of course, if you wish, but they do not have a legal right of entry. If you want them to go away, the phrase you need is, "I withdraw your Implied Right of Access". The Implied Right of Access is because you have a letterbox, and so the implication is that anyone can come up your drive to deliver something. But it is Implied, it is not a legal right, so you can withdraw that implied right.

That means that they are now trespassing if they come up your garden path. They must not come closer than the pavement outside your gate.

Of course, if you really are watching BBC or anything else live, they you should pay up, but if you don't, don't be bullied by them .
S
*Television Licensing Mafia

My new years resolution is to not watch tv on weekdays until 9pm. It's much easier than I thought so long as I keep busy. This day in age I'm surprised they can get away with their bully/scare tactics. I'm half tempted to not get one just to see what happens. It's almost £160 a year now ! So just to confirm, I'm paying for the licence so I can watch and record live tv from the bbc/iplayer or live tv from any channel ?

I know a chap who not only doesn't have a TV licence, he actively refused to pay, on the grounds that the BBC is in breach of its charter. He rather enthusiastically went through the court proceedings, which went smoothly until he submitted his list of witnesses - most of the BBC board of directors or whatever they call themselves. Case quietly dropped.

My understanding is that if you don't pay, they send you a threatening letter. If you ignore the letter, they send you a scarily threatening letter. If you ignore that, they send you a "we'll send the boys round" letter. And that's it. After a while, they start again with the first one, and around and around you go. Think of the TV licence as a voluntary tax.

In Greece they add it in to your electricity bill, so you can't avoid it. Quite sensible really - if you have an electricity supply, you have the right to watch TV. If you don't want to watch TV, your choice, but you have the right: the government will allow you to. Isn't that nice if them.

TV Licensing -
"You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder."

You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV on any channel ...
Interesting, no mention of BBC in that sentence? That would imply that if you watch anything live at all you need a licence.

Legally you don't need one if you don't watch live TV.

That being said, you can quite happily watch live TV without a license but you need to be prepared to stand your ground should they try to do anything.

The ONLY way you can be prosecuted is if you admit to doing it.

I found this last night whilst looking
2e9dcbfb8f682bdf50327794bf8e635b.jpg

It says over 90% goes to the bbc. It would be nice to have the option to just pay the 10% and opt out of there channels. Perhaps I'm just being a scrooge. I buy a tv magazine every week and on a Saturday flick through and circle anything of interest. I circled one thing this week which is a film that would probably be...or might be on Netflix anyway.

Latest posts

Back