Blade width for Axminster 350 bandsaw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to maker a tighter radius cut than can be achieved with the 1/4 blade, although the minimum size for the blade says 1/4 would I be able to use a 1/8 or 3/16 blade safely or without causing damage to my bandsaw ??

It all depends on the guides, can you support the blade either side and from the back without any risk of touching the teeth. Contact Ian at Tuffsaws, he said that a 3/16 blade would work on my record power bs300e but would exchange it FoC if I wasn’t happy. It worked fine.

You may be able to stick some sacrificial wood onto the front of your guides as this won’t damage the teeth if it touches.

I have an axminster 350. My standard blade is a tuffsaws 3/16" x 10tpi.
I cut bandsaw boxes, and I rip 200 mm high hardwood planks with it.
Admittedly, that shortens the blade life, but I'm too lazy to keep changing the blade as most of my work is curved in nature.
Other people tell me thats the wrong TPI, but did I mention I'm too lazy to keep changing blades? 8) 8)
All the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" blades are hanging on the wall going rusty. :roll:
I tried a 1/8" blade, its doable if you just increase the blade tension and move the side bearings away from the blade so they dont really have a job to do and feed the wood through slowly enough that the blade doesnt get pushed sideways. Worked fine on really tight corners, but then I had to change the blade to rip a plank (hammer) (hammer)
Just realised... I need another bandsaw 8) 8) =D>

cheers guys, think I'll put a 1/8 in the Tuffsaw basket, I assumed it would have something to do with the guise bearings.... thinks I'll fit the blade and make some hardwood guides

have you seen the Carter single bearing video? a tight very thin blade that doesnt have any side guides at all. Just a grooved bearing for the blade to run in.

Trigs":1ihkh8ee said:
I need to maker a tighter radius cut than can be achieved with the 1/4 blade, although the minimum size for the blade says 1/4 would I be able to use a 1/8 or 3/16 blade safely or without causing damage to my bandsaw ??

What is the radius you are trying to cut, and is minimum kerf width essential?

I ask this because I cut quite tight curves with a 1/4" blade.

file.php

Back