New Table Saw or New Fence System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":1esgv0gy said:
I don't know about being worthless, but my set has tapped cast iron, stainless steel and sundry other metals without any problems.

Cast iron doesn't present too much of a challenge, it's like tapping cheese! :lol:

Stainless, however, is quite tough going and my original cheap Aldi set could tap a couple of holes in stainless but the instant bite rather than bearing down on it while turning the tap trying to get it to start, the ease of cut, smoothness of the actual threads and the accuracy of the HSS Presto taps makes them 10x better comparatively. Threads that were tapped with the Aldi set were a lot looser of a fit than the ones that the Presto taps cut.

I think if you buy the whole range of Presto HSS taps + dies from M3 to M12 it works out at about £150, which isn't cheap granted and that excludes a couple of tap wrenches and a die stocks so in all it would work out about £200 for a full set (Excluding BSW dies and taps! :lol:). Worth every penny for myself because I do quite a lot of threaded holes and I bought them as I needed them, but for someone who's doing the odd hole and cleaning up threads those cheapy Chinese sets would suffice.

Here are some picks of the saw and fence. Ignore the mess.......

Not sure if i need any more angles or different pics.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163008.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163008.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 343
  • thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163011.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163011.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 343
  • thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163017.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163017.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 343
  • thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163021.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163021.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 343
  • thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163030.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200105_163030.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 343
That looks like the original fence and somebody's screwed a couple pieces of MDF to it rather than a home-made jobbie.

Would it stay in place if you took the strap off the rear end of the fence that holds it to the bar or does it rely on it to clamp the fence in place?

That looks very similar indeed to the first TS I had, c1991. Different colour (Axi green, at the time), but very similar design. Round fence bars. There is a rod that runs the length of the fence and hooks over the back. It helps to lock the fence in place. Which particular place is debatable, of course, but it locks it in place. The trouble is that there is nothing to square it up, apart from the user. That is why a 3-point system is so much better, it CAN'T tighten up squiffy. But it does mean that all the components have to be beefy, not just the head casting.
It's an old, dated design, and a more modern, more accurate and more user-friendly design will transform the usability, and your satisfaction, of using the saw.
No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Trevanion":1wg332th said:
That looks like the original fence and somebody's screwed a couple pieces of MDF to it rather than a home-made jobbie.

Would it stay in place if you took the strap off the rear end of the fence that holds it to the bar or does it rely on it to clamp the fence in place?

I haven't tried that as i wasn't sure if the whole thing would fall apart of i took the end off...... I imagine it wouldn't be very stable as there look to be just one point of contact on the main end.

I am next in the workshop on Wednesday so i could try taking the end off and see what happens.

Not sure if you're interested, but I've got two table saws that I've been meaning to post in the for sale forums. One is a Wadkin AGS10 and the other one is an unbranded american style saw (The fellow I bought it from said it was an Axminster saw, but it looks like a Jet JTAS-10 to me).

Both are solid machines with cast iron tops and accurate fences. Both have 3hp motors and are single phase.

They're not in use right now so they're just taking up space - I can PM you with prices if you're interested.

I'm not 100% sure about the rules on offering something for sale outside of the actual for sale forum, so it might be better if I actually got off my butt and posted the listings and just send you the links.

dkaardal":2v277xxc said:
Not sure if you're interested, but I've got two table saws that I've been meaning to post in the for sale forums. One is a Wadkin AGS10 and the other one is an unbranded american style saw (The fellow I bought it from said it was an Axminster saw, but it looks like a Jet JTAS-10 to me).

Both are solid machines with cast iron tops and accurate fences. Both have 3hp motors and are single phase.

They're not in use right now so they're just taking up space - I can PM you with prices if you're interested.

I'm not 100% sure about the rules on offering something for sale outside of the actual for sale forum, so it might be better if I actually got off my butt and posted the listings and just send you the links.

Yeah sure thing, send the prices etc where about are you based?

PM Sent.

I'm just near Newbury, Berkshire.

There's a pallet shipping company right next to where I work though, so I could get it palletted up and shipped to you if that's easier. Their prices are pretty good.

Regards,

Donovan

johnbulls74":ta8stkon said:
Here are some picks of the saw and fence. Ignore the mess.......

Not sure if i need any more angles or different pics.
This looks very similar to my table saw which had an equally useless fence. I've just replaced it with the charnwood one for about £75. So so worth it, breathes so much life into a tool I was about to give up on!

I've also wondered about dust extraction, whether there's a way to block up some of the hole where the motor sits and the belt runs in order to put a box underneath with some hose running to it but that's for another day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Back