Secret Santa 2019 - thanks, everyone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't participate. Always feel a bit out my depth... But I love the ukws secret santa.

Mustard.

Cheers all.

I felt the same way but pitched in when Phil made a call to arms that the event was short of people. I’m certainly no artisan, and did feel the pressure after saying yes, but I’m glad I participated and would encourage everyone to join in in 2020. It’s great to see something you’ve made being appreciated by a total stranger :)

Fitz.

Bm101":27nwc4gg said:
Didn't participate. Always feel a bit out my depth... But I love the ukws secret santa.

Mustard.

Cheers all.

Chris, we are putting your name in the hat for next year already!

And (probably last) mine - a nice maple French pie pin and a little razor blade holder. I confess to not having a clue what the holder is actually for, but I'm sure I'll be told. :D

DSCF0172.JPG

The photo doesn't do the wood justice (rubbish camera) - it's beautifully figured.

Attachments

• DSCF0172.JPG
    DSCF0172.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 257
I shall use my lame in the new year when I get back to attempting one of my periodic failures at sourdough. :D
Incidentally, here's the proportion of the pie pin to my usual rolling pin (made from a gatepost I took down when we moved house) - it'll take some getting used to. :D
DSCF0174.JPG

By the bye. I think we were a couple down on previous year's numbers, but not badly. I started this thread a bit early, but chivvying people along seems to achieve little and I'm loathe to contact people who have taken part in the past. :(

Attachments

• DSCF0174.JPG
    DSCF0174.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 200
I struggle with sourdough to Phil. I think I will have to resort to buying an aged starter the they advertise on-line. Only costs about £7 and they get great reviews.

marcros":su0pm4xa said:
My secret santa has been very busy making an ingenious jig to measure and cut pen blanks to length. I don't dare suggest giving it a test run today but will be doing so in the next few. On top of that, I got a cool festool tape measure which looks to have some useful internal measuring features.

Thanks santa, whoever you are!!

It looks like a great jig, would love to see some photos of it in use, or with the tape measure out of the way.
Richard

I will take some more pics and some in use ones. The tape measure is just holding the blank in place, because I was using my spare hand to take a photo. It doesn't actually cover anything

Hi All

This looks amazing!

I would love to take part in 2020 Secret Santa, but I am a new woodworker and feel quite inadequate in terms of skill level to even put my name forward.

How does this work?

Regards
Bp122

bp122":25l2wtyj said:
Hi All

This looks amazing!

I would love to take part in 2020 Secret Santa, but I am a new woodworker and feel quite inadequate in terms of skill level to even put my name forward.

How does this work?

Regards
Bp122

Look out for a Secret Santa thread for 2020 around August -September and post your interest in participation.

You needn't necessarily make something, you can buy instead if it suits to do so. The thread will start probably in about September (no matter who runs it) and gets drawn round about the end of October to allow everyone to research their recipient and their interests - some people have interests outside woodworking (believe it or not), and to make or buy something suitable. There is no real top or bottom limit on what you spend, the only stipulation is that you should give something you would be pleased to receive. We get around twenty people, but more would be better.

This is one of the very best and kindest initiatives on the internet. I may have more time this year due to Co19 so I might actually manage to make something usable in my forge this year. I encourage everyone on here to have a go.

Hopefully a few more will enter this year - I had to do a little fiddling of the draw so that people who made things (they were extremely good at making) didn't get drawn the same people as they did the year or two before. I'll start another thread in the summer to keep the years seperate as it probably makes it easier to search, whether I run it or not - a mod can always change it.
So here we go, people. Enforced absence from work etc. gives you months to think about the coming year's. Self isolate to the 'shop!

I was using the mallet I received to help get the ceiling up in the workshop today, so thanks again secret santa, it came in very handy for some gentle persuading.

Maybe we should start SS now? :shock: Just a thought.
Could be epic.

Back