Another sharpening thread, but with a twist...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I have just got back from New Zealand. Whilst there, we visited the museum in Christchurch and amongst their collections are various Maori tools. In addition, there was a film loop being shown on how the tools were made and used; unfortunately, I can’t find a link on YouTube.
However, what was being shown is described in this article.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/kohatu-maori-u ... one/page-1

Although the whole process of making a stone adze was fascinating, I did wonder about how they acquired their sharpening stones. The stone being used in the film was quite flat but I would assume that, with use, the sharpening stone would develop grooves as shown in the pictures above. If so, I wonder how they flattened the stone again or whether they sought out a new one. I also wondered whether they used to argue about sharpening techniques!

Can't speak to what the maori did specifically, but have seen elsewhere that the whole idea of rubbing three surfaces together to get surfaces that are true is a technique that's hundreds of years old, and not thousands.

I'd imagine they did whatever took the least effort and still met standard (which would mean using a stone worn hollow).

Perfectly flat stones are nice to have, but not necessary for much. Most of the razor stones that I've gotten (and I've gotten a lot of them over the years, sold most, but have seen a lot that were in use in barber shops) were worn hollow, too. A barber would've used only their stone on their razors, so it wouldn't have mattered much - the dip on a 10" escher stone I acquired years ago was probably 3/16ths of an inch. It wasn't subtle. The stone was flat across its width, but like a hammock along its length.

Very interesting thread this, which I've only just seen (got sent here by Andy T in response to my Qs about the Ebbsfleet Plane).

Amongst other things it revives an (I'm assured semi-serious/joke) Q in the verbal part of our apprenticeship final exams. "You're in the desert with a VERY special vehicle and it's engine konks out. You establish that the tappets need resetting, otherwise the engine wont run at all anymore. No chance. You've only got a 3 thou and an 11 thou feeler gauge in your toolkit. But the Manual specifically says tappet clearance must be 8 thou, plus/minus nil. No other setting will do. So what do you do?"

Answer. Rub both feeler blades up and down in adjacent bits of sand until the 3 thou blade has disappeared. The other blade will now be exactly 8 thou. ;-)

Back