Holdfasts types and uses!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samhay":66d3rw7p said:
ED65":66d3rw7p said:
At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood. I thought I had a picture of a couple but they must be on another hard drive. Never mind, the YouTube channel Pask Makes has a vid on making these and I think I spotted them in use in one of his recent vids so they've held up.
/forums/bench-top-with-clamps-pegs-t95141.html

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NiggRJhZA

I watched the video and I'm really impressed how well those things held up.
I'm surprised as to how many things are made using a bandsaw!
I can't throw money at it now and buy one :(
And my skills with a coping saw are terrible.
Any other method to cut curves on wood?

The wooden ones don't have to be curved. That was done for aesthetics.
That said, you could shape them with a file, sander, spoke shave, chisel, etc, etc.

ED65":1md5i36g said:
At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood...........

Here's mine in use:

s3q0UGr.jpg

It's 3 or 4 years old and as good as the day it was made. Works perfectly.

bourbon":1cjqhnyn said:
where are you based? Come and talk to or blacksmith at an event. The Ferrers household

I am based in Buckinghamshire. Not sure how far away the event you mentioned is.
samhay":1cjqhnyn said:
The wooden ones don't have to be curved. That was done for aesthetics.
That said, you could shape them with a file, sander, spoke shave, chisel, etc, etc.

Rich C":1cjqhnyn said:
Indeed, pretty sure you could knock them together with a handsaw and have them work just fine.

Just after I posted the question, I came across a few videos on YT about cutting curves the old fashioned way, with a saw, chisel and a card scraper (the last one I have never used)

Besides, as you said, it doesn't need to be curved. I must say, the DIY wooden ones are looking like the most exciting option from a project point of view. I have a 3/4" dowel, not sure it is hard wood, but will try it anyway.

MikeG.":1c4qgwf1 said:
ED65":1c4qgwf1 said:
At the cheapest end of the spectrum ones that work, apparently very well, can be made from wood...........

Here's mine in use:

s3q0UGr.jpg

It's 3 or 4 years old and as good as the day it was made. Works perfectly.

That settles it. I am going to try and make one or two and see how it goes.
I have enough hardwood scraps for that anyway!

If I had round holes rather than square, I think I would be tempted to find a suitably shaped fork of green wood from a woodland. A branch with a fork, say an inch and a half in diameter, would soon whittle down to the right size and shape, taking away the need for a join. I'd then season it. Obviously, ask the woodland owners permission first.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Moved by the "Pask makes" video, I tried my own.
And I made my first DIY shop tools!

20191026_094700.jpg
20191026_094642.jpg

Attachments

• 20191026_094700.jpg
    20191026_094700.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20191026_094642.jpg
    20191026_094642.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 144
I've been lurking on the bog-oak table thread, and MikeG has inspired me, not with the table, oddly, but with the holdfast shown above, and also his gorgeous mallet.

Not saying the table isn't brilliant, because it is, but I couldn't possibly aspire to that. The holdfast and mallet, on the other hand...

New year's list is 1 mallet, one holdfast, and one bench to put the holdfast into. How hard could it be? I am already eying up bits of firewood that may be suitable.

Trainee neophyte":idsxn7hb said:
I've been lurking on the bog-oak table thread, and MikeG has inspired me, not with the table, oddly, but with the holdfast shown above, and also his gorgeous mallet.

Not saying the table isn't brilliant, because it is, but I couldn't possibly aspire to that. The holdfast and mallet, on the other hand...

New year's list is 1 mallet, one holdfast, and one bench to put the holdfast into. How hard could it be? I am already eying up bits of firewood that may be suitable.
Not a bad list at all.

I found the entire process very enjoyable. Although, I didn't have my drill press at the time so mucked up the hole for the dowel and drilled it at an angle with a Forster bit on my cordless drill, as a result it doesn't sit straight but still works.

Making things is so much fun. *Gasm alert*

Back