Roubo-workbench in Southern Yellow pine with leg vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very nice, be interesting to see how many hours you have in it at the finish. The date carving is good, beyond my skills tho - I'm going to sink a coin (date relevant) somewhere in the top when I do mine.

Quite difficult to estimate how long it has taken as machining the timber originally took longer as we did enough wood for two benches. I would guess at about 40 hours in totl for this bench
Cheers
Mark

Final stages - fitting the leg vice
Here's the kit from Richard Maguire
IMG_1458.JPG

70mm hole drilled in the leg
IMG_1459.jpg

The wooden 'nut' with a 2 1/2" female thread tapped in it is then mounted in a recess on the back of this leg
IMG_1460.jpg

Corresponding hole cut in the leg vice - I actually made this 65mm rather than 70 as the instructions said
IMG_1462.jpg

A hole drilled lower in the leg with the mounting for the pin - this has small rows of ball bearings so that the pin slides almost frictionless within
IMG_1464.jpg

The pin itself attached to the back of the leg vice in a recess - and screwed in place - the recess is longer than required and the slots for the screws are elongated so that the pin and the vice screw can be altered minutely so they are not quite parallel - this means that the vice works in terms of the leg vice only being parallel to the leg when it is put under pressure
IMG_1465.jpg

Here's the back of the leg vice
IMG_1467.jpg

Garter added to the front
IMG_1472.jpg

Leg vice finished
IMG_1468.jpg

And here's the final picture of the bench with an extra row of holes drilled along the back for the holdfasts and a line behind the leg vice - plus I gave it all another coat of linseed
IMG_1469.JPG

Thanks for looking
Cheers - Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 1,811
Congratulations! That is a very classy bench. It sounds like you had a lot of fun making it and I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

Thanks everyone
It was a really interesting experience.
Things which were good choices:
1. Sending back the Veritas twin screw vice and inset vice and instead getting the leg and tail vices. They are outstanding
2. Making my own dogs - so easy to do with a 3/8" roundover bit in the router table - and I have now added a suede pad to them and they work well
Things I would do differently / mistakes:
1. The front row of dog holes - every 80mm all the way along are great but then there are 2 holes above each of the front legs - so I cannot have them deeper than 50mm to avoid interfering with the drawbore dowels. Not sure how I could have done this differently as the tail vice ifs the same width as the leg - so I could not have the row 'behind' the legs
2. On a similar vein, the row of holes going back from the leg vice is not centred on the vice - plus the dog hole in the leg vice itself is in end grain of a board which is only 48mm thick - so it might not tolerate too much in the way of pressure.
3. When I laminated the SYP for the top, I had some grain running in opposite directions - so it was very difficult to flatten without tearout and there are a couple of areas of tearout
Generally speaking I am thrilled with it - I have completed my first piece of work - making a Moxon vice as a 50th birthday present for a mate - I honestly do not know how I ever made anything on that old heap of junk I used to call a workbench
Cheers
Mark

As an afterthought yesterday I added the crotchet which Chris Schwartz likes - had ummed and arred about this but I can easily remove it if I dont like it
IMG_1477.JPG

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 1,276
No he hasn't started yet.
His SYP is all thicknessed and cut but I think he wanted me to make all the mistakes first!

Love your bench Mark. I have just made one myself. Really enjoyed the build......not so much the moving it around.....but overall very satisfying. Thanks for sharing.

Back