1st proper project - HELP!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raymond UK":3s3j68ga said:
Have a look for laminated pine boards. I use it all the time and pay £25.00 a sheet (3000x600)

where do you get it from?

ok.

would somewhere like travis perkins do higher quality stuff or am i better off going elsewhere

Not sure if TP sells it. I would talk to your local supplier and see if they can get it in.

The main importer round our way is Optimum Timber in Mexborough.

Where are you located in Yorkshire? If you're close you're welcome to pick one of my off cuts up so you can get a feel working with the stuff. I've got a few off cuts from this years Xmas toy boxes.... :roll:

MikeG.":n7ura5t9 said:
You don't need a table saw. A simple hand-held circular saw and straight edge is fine for breaking down sheet material into usable sizes. Any table saw that can handle sheet materials is going to occupy a huge amount of space and cost a lot of money.

EBhVTOc.jpg
Agree with Mike; a tablesaw is unnecessary and this is exactly how I slice up rough boards into manageable sizes. You can even do this on the floor with a couple (three is ideal) bearers underneath the plank if it's too large to manhandle which happened to me once or twice some years ago - Rob

I agree. You can get quite far with just a circular saw and a straight edge.

I use my cordless circular saw everyday to cut boards of pine into manageable pieces but I couldn't be without my table saw.

I mainly make toy chests and use a circular saw for the cross cuts and a table saw for the rip cuts. If it weren't for the limited width of cut size on my table saw and the size of my workshop I'd cut everything on the table saw.

Still waiting for Lidl to bring back their track saws

Sound advice about the saws.

I have a reasonable workshop and a cast iron table saw which I use a lot but it's useless for cutting large sheets unless I buy a sliding table which takes up far too much space so I use a track saw which does the job perfectly.
Very accurate and by using the initial scoring setting and 2 passes I get absolutely no breakout on either surface.
Mine is a Makita but a number of forum members recommend the Lidl version so well worth consideration before parting with any cash.

Bob

i have been considering saving up to get a tracksaw first.

ive used dewalt and festool and festool is by far my favorite.

what is makita comparable to?

BHwoodworking":3s8ajvoa said:
what is makita comparable to?
Bosch, DeWalt and Festool I guess. The Makita track is I think compatible with the Festool track.
This is the saw https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-sp60 ... r-ax656310
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

I just couldn't convince myself that the Festool kit was worth £200 / 50% more than the Makita version and I've found nothing with my saw that's changed my opinion.

Immediately after paying for it so I wasn't influenced the sales guy said I'd made the right decision in his opinion as during the previous 6 months they'd had no Makitas returned for repairs but did have 5 Festool, of course I don't know what the sales figures were and you know what they say about statistics. :wink:

thanks.

just quite a few friends have festool (which they speak very highly of) and i didn't like the dewalt.

I don’t have any Festool tools. (Probably due to the price of them)

I do own quite a lot of Makita tools and the only thing ever gone wrong over the last 15 years is the electric brake on both mitre saws. Not bad going.

Also, Makita still has the widest range of battery tools.

No pressure but I've got an unused lidl saw gathering dust. All there but no box. Never used. Bought in error by my Mrs. If you fancy it for a good price to save me faffing about trying to sell it elsewhere let me know. It's in the way in my shed and while the lure of the big brands can be strong if it's just for occasional use at first might well be good enough. It gets good reviews for new at it's price point. Theres a few threads on here I think. Be less than that for a quick sale from me.
I picked up a one handed smaller saw which is better for my purposes with sheet timber hence it never being used.
Regards
Chris

Latest posts

Back