Roughing gouge for bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To turn the topic on its head, I never use a spindle gouge at all, but use my bowl gouge for spindle work.

peter-harrison":2avhwdsq said:
To turn the topic on its head, I never use a spindle gouge at all, but use my bowl gouge for spindle work.

This is why I asked if I could put a bowl gouge grind on the spindle gouge, kill two birds etc.

El Barto":1zsunrhs said:
peter-harrison":1zsunrhs said:

This is why I asked if I could put a bowl gouge grind on the spindle gouge, kill two birds etc.
You can turn spindles safely with a Bowl Gouge, not always the most effective or easiest to achieve the smooth flow that one gets with a spindle gouge, (solid bar or continental style versions), or a skew though.

But you indicated that you wanted to use a Spindle ROUGHING gouge for Bowl work, this a definite No No on the Safety front, as is the use of a Continental style spindle gouge because of the catch and tang failure risk.

Spindle roughing gouge on cross grain work is a dangerous combination, as others have posted. The pictures of the broken tangs attest to the weak spot. The tang of the tool is weak compared to the solid bar stock of bowl gouges. Older forged tools with tangs have the same safety consideration when cross grain work.

My take on this goes along with everyone else and if that video doesn't show enough then just have an ambulance on standby when you try it :mrgreen:

But seriously, you can put whatever shape you wish on a spindle roughing gouge, but NEVER use it unless you are turning spindles. Plus, the roughing gouge has been used as it is for just about ever and it works well as such.

If it ain't broke then don't mend it is my thought. Just enjoy your turning.

Another thought iss that some new to turning will take an old file and gring it to do all sorts on jobs on a lathe. It is brittle and will break and possibly take the holder with it! I am sure there are youtube videos of that too. Don't do it!

Back