Bridge City Hand Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevanion":3ehmmput said:
MikeG.":3ehmmput said:
Trevanion":3ehmmput said:
.........I think some of the nicest looking hand planes made today are made by The Lazarus Hand Plane Company......

$1800 for a jack plane, and you still have to tap it with a hammer to set the depth.

I said they looked nice I didn't say they were at all practical! :lol:

He/she? does have some neat looking adjusters on his/her? other planes though.

CI1ASMw.jpg

The one thing that chaps me a little bit about the heavy slab type work like that is the mix of curves and straight lines, but also the plain checkering on the knurls makes the knurl look the same as something you'd get from industrial supply. Take a look at the knurling on the older infill planes, and even on the lowly stanley depth adjuster wheel. It's segmented and wonderful.

The change from classical design to industrial design is probably responsible for the loss of some of those details. The same thing can be seen on heavy equipment. The castings and fixtures on the old machinery were really wonderful.

Fair to say, though, I don't know a thing about machine making so maybe others have a great appreciation for that look.

I have a Stanley No.6c, a Marples No.7 and a Stanley No8 from about 1930 (amonst others :D ). All are delightful to use, well made, nice pieces of good design. I didn't buy them for their increasing value, I didn't buy them for their rarity, I didn't buy them to leave to my children - I bought them to use. I wonder why people buy B.C. (or even some of the other upmarket brands) - I bet in 99% of cases it isn't to use.

phil.p":1vjd1p31 said:
I have ... a Stanley No8 from about 1930 (amongst others :D ).

My dad gave me his on his death bed, literally. It was a beautiful plane. "It only needs pushing", were his last words to me.

It was stolen as part of The Great Haul. I did not use it often, but when I did, my goodness, it was the best.

I'd like it back, but I just hope that whoever has it now appreciates it.

So if anyone has one that is just cluttering up their workshop and would appreciate the extra space...
:)

If I had silly money I'd be going to Sauer and Steiner or Olly Sparks. And Philly Planes. And then a saw or 3 from the two German lawyers. I could put them all in a cabinet otherwise I'll have to blame my own lack of skill. Those tools, they are beautiful, functional artwork in the best way. The bridge city is not in a way that would ever justify my imaginary buying thereof because you don't buy planes at that price for an increase in performance that's quantifiable to the increased cost. They lack wow or that extra step in class to a collector I would guess than you would get with a bespoke master maker like Bill Carter etc... no pedigree at that cost.
If you can't fettle a cheap plane buy a LNielsen for bang out the box. But doesn't hide the fact you have to learn to use it some point. Like the sharpening nonsense. It's just a backdrop to actually using the tool.
This is poor mans logic you understand. And realistic logic.
:D

They have not managed to design in any improved plane features but the clever bit is they have designed in how to shave off a rather thick profit margin.
It's not to my taste but I am sure they will sell a few.
Regards
John

Thing is, stanley/ bailey more or less nailed it in terms of functionality but sometimes it's just nice to have nice stuff. Is my clifton No7 better than the stanley it replaced? No, but I get great pleasure from owning and using it. Having said that, I don't think I would ever want to own one of these BC planes no matter how wealthy I was!

On the other hand chaps, check out the latest toys that Matt Platt has up for grabs on Workshop Heaven. Then be prepared to fall off your chair :lol: - Rob

£10,600 for a second hand plane. I like Matthew, but part of me hopes he still has this piece of nonsense on his books in 10 years time.

MikeG.":lulm1tje said:
£10,600 for a second hand plane. I like Matthew, but part of me hopes he still has this piece of nonsense on his books in 10 years time.
Reading some of the details on those offerings last night Mike, it appears that many have never been used but have sat in some collectors tool cabinet since the day they were bought. That's a shame, 'cos at the end of the day, they're still tools and IMO deserved to be used - Rob

The Bridge City block plane looks to have some interesting and (for some woodworkers) relevant features. A double ended iron, with a different angle on each end, is such an obvious benefit it's surprising it's never been offered before. And the "skids"concept, for thicknessing small components, is a great idea. Like many woodworkers I make skids by using double sided tape to attach shimming blocks to the plane sole. It works well enough, but it's a bit of a faff and doesn't always offer the repeatability that this design has.

Well done Bridge City. Their high prices means they're not appropriate for everyone (and I'm the first to recognise that they're not "necessary" for anyone), but it's great to see that the spirit of ingenious improvements to hand tools didn't die with the Victorians.

It is a very unusual plane, certainly. I've just found this review on-line, posted here without comment:

"OK, I had to sell my wife and several of my children to purchase this plane, but that's nothing compared to the true joy of ownership the tool brings. My one gripe is the high level of flatness of the sole - it is really too shiny and the strong light in my workshop sometimes makes it difficult to see the workpiece because of the glare.

"Obviously I don't actually use it - that would risk damaging the extraordinary sharpness it has straight from the factory. I do, however, sit enraptured for hours at a time, watching through my travelling microscope as motes of dust land on the cutting edge and are split asunder.

"It actually exudes an aura of sharpness, a feature that I really wasn't expecting. I have noticed that certain softer woods, placed in proximity but not actually touching the tool, actually produce wafer-thin curly shavings. As of now, I really don't understand this, however experts tell me it has something to do with the ley line that runs under one end of my bench.

"I'm hoping now that it will also sharpen razor blades, if they are placed underneath it."

I'm a sucker for something shiny, and, while they do look different, they also look decidedly uncomfortable to use. I realise that using them isn't necessarily something a buyer would be considering given the review above ;)

deema":2l287yys said:
304 Stainless and Aluminium! I can’t think of anyone who would knowing put those too metals would together without a proper barrier.

Enlighten me if you will, what’s the concern in a benign environment?

Aidan

Latest posts

Back