Rubio Monocoat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone usedthis stuff? A friend of mine is making all sorts of fantastical claims about it after seeing some at a trade show. It seems to be a one coat oil, yet impervious to any and everything. What do you know?

Yes. I really like it, and used it on a couple of pieces for a matt finish. It has held up well on a TV cabinet and side table but hasn't had hard usage or spills on.

I used the "pure" colour I think, may have been "natural". Sample pots of the A part are available but are v slow to cure. B is the hardener and it was touch try quickly in the summer. I applied with a silicone spatula used for baking, and it was as easy as pouring, spreading, wiping away excess. A little goes a long way which is good because it is expensive. I would use it again and would use happily use it as a default on as many items as I can.

I've never used it but I know a top-quality furniture maker who swears by it for his furniture vehemently. He even gave (forced upon :wink: ) me a sample pot to try but I never got around to it. He knows his stuff so I trust his judgement on the finish.

It's bloody expensive, I know that much! :lol:

For a pro, some of the expense is offset with the reduced labour and the throughput. I believe that it is used for floors, and on a large area one coat instead of 3 is much quicker and may shave days off a job. For a furniture maker, the project can be out of the door quicker and not taking up space.

I wrote mine off on the first project (for myself so no labour cost saving), and the rest of the tin was free.

I've used it on wooden kitchen worktops on the rare occasions I've fitted them. Never had any issues with its durability Mike.

As it's a 2 part system, I have found it is important to ensure you mix the correct proportions of the 2 liquids together.....The first time I used it, I guestimated the hardener quantity and it took days to dry...!!

As some of the others have stated, it ain't cheap, but it does go a long way.

Back