Wickes ply is beech faced

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I was needing a bit of casual plywood today so popped into Wickes. Trade discount at the ready. Their "hardwood" ply is beech faced at the moment and I thought that's not all that common (makes a change from gaboon) so if you need that...
Seems decent enough.

My local does not. I would check everything first as I find Wickes a bit unreliable in terms of 'stock'. This was in Dartford.

Wickes is still owned by Travis Perkins, who are trying to sell it by the middle 2020. Some of the stock lines are the same.

The Travis Perkins WBP (or equivalent) structural ply of late appears to be birch faced. I've bought a dozen or so sheets of it recently (18mm). For the price it's better than I have seen from the sheds, with few surface faults. Laminations have some voids. Would not be surprised if some Wickes are getting the same stock.

In Tunbridge Wells they are right next to each other. Wickes there (nor Tonbridge TP) does not have a cutting service.

Lets hope Wickes will continue in a viable form. Homebase is all but dead after a fatal foray with Bunnings and B&Q need a competitor to keep them on their toes.

Whilst on the subject of hardwood ply, for the last few months B&Q have been stocking surprisingly good hardwood ply. Paper thin outer veneers so risky to sand but very few voids and cuts nicely on a non scoring table saw with a combination blade.
8x4 x 9mm was £24 inc vat last week and quite a few stores have panel saws and cut free of charge (whereas wickes charge for more than a few cuts per sheet).
Its made in China with a multilingual label for all the Kingfisher outlets worldwide.

Myfordman":ioz1r8ei said:
Whilst on the subject of hardwood ply, for the last few months B&Q have been stocking surprisingly good hardwood ply.

I'm just fed up with seeing that red coloured ply on every cart or equipment stand I make.

Back