Record Rosewood Handles?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful example from the 1930s, hope you've kept in this state as it is in pristine condition.

As long as the handles are not resin, ( and although I could be wrong, I don't believe Record ever went down the resin-road, ) then I'm happy to fettle and use Record planes.

John (hammer)

This 4 1/2 has been seriously interfered with for profit. The handle is a modern mass produced replacement ( genuine pre war rosewood handles have a rounded side profile, characterful grain dimples and are distinct in their appearance) the trade label has been lifted from another handle and the whole been polished with modern lacquer. The knob is more likely rosewood and original from this, or another plane. Over the production lifetime of these tools, there has become an imbalance between quantities of handles and knobs. More stress is placed on the handle and hence many are split from the bottom third up. Therefore there are many more original knobs in this world than handles, hence the greater temptation for fakery. The frog lever has been badly replaced from an old original. The rest of the tool has been meticulously cleaned, buffed etc. An original pre war 4 1/2 should show all the signs of use but if it had been in its box all this time, it is extremely unlikely it an would emerge from that box looking as pristine, unless it had been in France with the Mona Lisa in its perfectly controlled environment. The reason for this skullduggery? Well it is not entirely financial. One may only pay another £20 or so for a good pre war (maybe up to 1949) used but clean and genuine 4 1/2. The 'refurbished' drive is mainly from old men in sheds with nothing better to do than mess around with ageing engineering skills and love of all things British......So.... 100% ...that's a fake, a mis-mash of parts from other planes and assembled by a rogue that tarnishes my beautiful profession with sorry disrepute. Apologies for the brutality but that's how it appears to me from 55 years of loving planes.

Latest posts

Back