traditional style shooting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I made myself a shooting board out of redwood pine

my original one got wet in a flood a couple of months ago and warped badly so I really needed a new one,

it's a free project on youtube by paul sellers if you are interested, it's not re-inventing the wheel but it works well and is very accurate if you mark it out properly.

cheers,

Ben.

Attachments

• pine_shooting_board-3.jpg
    pine_shooting_board-3.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 983
  • pine_shooting_board-2.jpg
    pine_shooting_board-2.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 985
  • pine_shooting_board-1.jpg
    pine_shooting_board-1.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 985
looks all good to me, nice

Myself I can't watch Paul Seller he just for some reason really wind's me up but I can't really put my finger on WHY?

That looks very neat and tidy, nicely done. Sorry to hear about the flood!

tomthumbtom8":amiiuhbq said:
Myself I can't watch Paul Seller he just for some reason really wind's me up but I can't really put my finger on WHY?
I used to be all right with him, not a fan exactly but I enjoyed watching him work and how he talked about the processes, pointed out gotchas etc. But his presentation style has evolved over the years and now to go along with the 'lifestyle woodworker' thing <gack> it just sets my teeth on edge and I can barely watch any of his recent stuff.

Long before this I was bugged by how he talks about things as "the Paul Sellers XXXXX" when he didn't come up with 95% of it: perfectly standard techniques, often with no unique wrinkles, and stuff taken directly from Robert Wearing or the pages of The Woodworker magazine from way back.

tomthumbtom8":17yiraad said:
looks all good to me, nice

Glad I am not the only one!

Pete

Assuming you know little about woodwork ( his target audience) I think he is a good teacher and his material is well constructed.
But I find him very very very annoying too.
At least he does not exist to sell fancy tools and he does point to cheap alternatives.
I can forgive him just for the amount of old tools he must have saved from going to landfill, but am glad I put my tool kit together before he started to influence prices.

Wow, this thread took a bit of a turn.

Shooting board looks good, although it seems like it would be a better idea to have the fences with a bit of adjustment? i.e just a fence and some bolts with a little wiggle room

sammy.se":to50mdfe said:
Looks good. What's the accuracy like?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

accuracy is amazing, as long as you are careful with marking out and use a knifewall and quality combination square, I can get perfect mitres and dead square ends in both planes vertical and horizontal.

woodbloke66":4x4xphny said:
As there's no means of adjustment, it will, over time go out of 'kilter'...they always do for some reason.
Even with the stop glued in place? I checked accuracy on one of the first things I made, a bench hook slash shooting board which has taken an absolute beating, and it's still perfectly square.

woodbloke66":4x4xphny said:
I've made plenty over the last fifty years :D :D or so and the best one by far is the FWW version. Cheap, simple and fully adjustable - Rob
I do like that one, have had it on my to-do list for when I get around to making a proper one.

ED65":b8gnwg42 said:
tomthumbtom8":b8gnwg42 said:
I used to be all right with him, not a fan exactly but I enjoyed watching him work and how he talked about the processes, pointed out gotchas etc. But his presentation style has evolved over the years and now to go along with the 'lifestyle woodworker' thing <gack> it just sets my teeth on edge and I can barely watch any of his recent stuff.

Long before this I was bugged by how he talks about things as "the Paul Sellers XXXXX" when he didn't come up with 95% of it: perfectly standard techniques, often with no unique wrinkles, and stuff taken directly from Robert Wearing or the pages of The Woodworker magazine from way back.
Despite PSs occasional annoying comments, I'm currently following his saw horse video with great success. He makes it simple and easy to construct so no critisisom here from me.

John

ED65":2f8deftt said:
woodbloke66":2f8deftt said:
As there's no means of adjustment, it will, over time go out of 'kilter'...they always do for some reason.
Even with the stop glued in place? I checked accuracy on one of the first things I made, a bench hook slash shooting board which has taken an absolute beating, and it's still perfectly square.

Probably me and the cack handed way I use the things :D but every 'standard' shooting board I've ever made has eventually gone out of 'square'. The beauty of the FWW version as shown in the vid is that it's easy peasy to plane the fence back to square if it does perchance go on the skew...which mine has done once - Rob

Back