An End Table...All Done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John15":1zw71ns8 said:
Congratulations Pete. Looks really nice, especially the top.

John
Chris152":1zw71ns8 said:
Looks great, Pete.

Much appreciated John and Chris :D If I the timber I'd love to make another one, although I might
get away with a couple of small matching shelves :)

Phwoar !!! That looks fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

very nice pete, must admit I wasn't sure at first but now I've seen it finished it looks great.

ColeyS1":3vtenpkd said:
Phwoar !!! That looks fantastic!

Thanks Coley, so glad I took advice on the finish :D

thetyreman":3vtenpkd said:
very nice pete, must admit I wasn't sure at first but now I've seen it finished it looks great.

Me too fella, I was hoping it'd look something like what I had imagined whilst making it. I think a little luck went in to it :D

scooby":gcyw9i38 said:
Looks even better since my previous comment. Well done Pete.

Cheers scooby :D I've managed to find an oil based varnish so will be mixing with white spirit to
make a wipe on poly for increased protection :) Should have it done in a couple of days, once
I finish a couple of other little jobs!

RickG":1pq7qnbg said:
Well done Pete. That looks really good. Lovely result.

Much appreciated Rick :D I did another job yesterday plant related, thankfully this was a fairly quick one. I length of 25 mm steel wardrobe pole cut to 1.3 metres, and then it was out with the hot glue gun and a ball of 6.5 mm rope. I managed to get it hung and a couple of plants in place before our lass came home :D

Hanging Rail.jpg

Attachments

• Hanging Rail.jpg
    Hanging Rail.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 360
PeteG":3rzxrrhr said:
scooby":3rzxrrhr said:

Cheers scooby :D I've managed to find an oil based varnish so will be mixing with white spirit to
make a wipe on poly for increased protection :) Should have it done in a couple of days, once

I havent used varnish for a few years now but the last time, I did the same as you (thinned to make it wipe on). I've still got the finished item and the finish seems to be pretty durable. For the last couple of years, I've been using hard wax oil (Osmo and Fiddes).
Nice work again.
Jon

scooby":2i2xv7w1 said:
PeteG":2i2xv7w1 said:
scooby":2i2xv7w1 said:

I havent used varnish for a few years now but the last time, I did the same as you (thinned to make it wipe on). I've still got the finished item and the finish seems to be pretty durable. For the last couple of years, I've been using hard wax oil (Osmo and Fiddes).
Nice work again.
Jon

Had ever heard of wipe on varnish Jon until it was mentioned on this WIP. I used a Wilko yacht varnish a few years back on some kitchen shelves. I gave them two coats, they've put up with a lot of usage and still look good...I'm sure Osmo was recommended when I made the Ash plant stand to help stop it Yellowing. But after seeing the price for such a small job and not being sure when I'd use it again, the plant stand remains unfinished. I will finish the end table this week! Last weekend I decided to clean the shed and rearrange a couple of benches. It's turned out to be a bigger job than planned and yesterday we ordered new carpet for the living room. I then wished I'd made the few inches of missing skirting from when the old fire place was taken out a lot sooner. Thankfully that was easier than I thought so that job should be out of the way later on today. Tomorrow I'll be ripping up the old carpet, once our lass has found a place to store the seventy or so house plants.
That'll give me chance to finish the end table :D Then it's back in the shed to finish tidying up!

Back