Saw sharpening files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you AES. He told me he was contacting you. I know he has a fair bit on so I will wait to hear from him. It is really kind of you to help.

Linda

Hello?? Call my name???

Sorry folks, working on a ladder outside all day, just got a (teabreak) chance to scan emails now. Will act on AES's emails later, probably 8pm or worse; job now at a critical.point, so have to keep going.

Sam

Man....There are some big-hearted, altruistic, NICE people on this site. My deepest "Thanks!" in particular to AES for the long, informed reply when I asked him for help on Linda's behalf and the subsequent action he took to help her directly.

Thanks too to another well-known member (sorry, don't know if he wishes to remain incognito, but he's a first class fellow too) who weighed in on a different aspect of her hoard's complexities.

Linda has made a separate post on the kindness endemic to all you UKwoodworkers and I echo her sentiments; especially to what I mentally label 'The South Coast Mafia' 8) [Gowan..you know who you are!] Without their help in the early days, I would not be as far forward as I am. The Bristol Coven are good sports too!

Sam.

Hello everyone,

The sorting of the saw sharpening files is now progressing well. All sorted into brands or no brand. Some have been photographed and are being looked over by our lovely Ukw member in Switzerland.

There were some triangular but none saw sharpening files in amongst them and 3 with the military broad arrow so that felt historically interesting.

A load of the other larger files not photographed here and maybe 100 plus have been sorted ready for our tools with a mission pick up.

To Sammy and bm101 asap files will be set aside for you and I have messaged you both now.

So many many thank yous to everyone. Step by slow step dad's beloved tools are finding new homes.

Linda

A lot of us derive pleasure from using tools passed on in this way. A couple of years ago I bought something from a widow in a similar position to you, Linda, then helped her move/sell/donate to TWM many of her late husband's remaining tools. I bought some of them myself, and though I never knew him, I think of him every time I use one of those tools.

I sometimes think 'dammit, this tool knows how to do this, so I must be able to use it the same way!'

Keith

We have been sorting out lots of things for TWM. I am so glad to know about them. Nothing of use to someone else will go to landfill on my watch!

My warmest wishes to all the kind people here.

Linda

Hello everyone,

I had a my first Skype call with AES re the saw sharpening files. So he has taught me about files and Skype and a little about Swiss language!

We sorted through the files. Saw sharpening from not saw sharpening. Damaged from not damaged and in good condition.

Next is pricing. What do you think they are worth in preowned good to excellent condition, some likely unused. There are branded ones and no brand ones so I guess they will be of different value. AES said the branded ones being old Sheffield quality makes are good steel (I think that is what you said AES).

I am pushed at the moment with readying a large skip load of cement bonded corrugated white asbestos sheeting ( some atop a shed, some dug in the ground) for removal by a company on 5th November but after that I can prepare the ss fields to offer to ukworkshop members initially.

Any help on valuing would be much appreciated. If more photos and makers details are needed I can provide these.

There are many other files too so a second question is would it be better to offer different files at the same time in terms of making up parcels. (And now I wonder about chisels and blades for hack, fret saws at same time). As i am stepping towards my first market place offering help with how things work would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much

Linda

I would like to offer some saw sharpening files to ukworkshop members but what might they be worth? They have been quality checked by AES and are good brands. Does £2 per branded files sound reasonable, or too much?

I think at that price they will sell easily, assuming usage has been minimal and they are not worn out. You could charge twice as much for anything clearly unused.
I suggest you make up sets of sizes if you can. That way, buyers can cover their needs without needing to think too hard about which size goes with which saw, you minimise P&P and you should sell out quickly.
I already have a lifetime supply, otherwise I'd be in touch already to place an order.

I'm with you there AndyT!

Having already "seen" quite a few of these files during online Skype video calls with the lady, there are several files which if I didn't already have (more than?) enough, I'd happily make offers for - like, as an example, a pair of 10 inch Stubbs mill cut Dreadnoughts, which, within the limitations of video, look to be either unused, or only lightly used - and undamaged to boot (AND Lindas has now heard more than enough of my hobby horse about not ever allowing files to clang together)!

Hi AndyT and AES,

I thought I'd replied, but can't see my message. Thank you both for your kindness. Perhaps £2 is a bit low so I'll try £3 per file and sort into brand families and sets with a free handle and try to offer some next week.

I am pretty confident about them after my Skype and files lessons with AES.

Thank you both for such kind help

Thank you all for such kindness with sorting the saw sharpening files. I feel much more confident about them and now know which are saw sharpening and which are other triangular files. Your help with these and the many other things from dad's workshops has helped me sort scrap from useful and marry up items with each other. Everyone's kindness and generosity has really helped me in terms of lifting the isolation and sadness of such a huge task. 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).

The moderators do not feel it is appropriate for me to offer the saw sharpening files in the Ukw market place because my contributions have been about sorting and rehoming if dad's workshop items and allowing me would set a precedent possibly for others. I understand and agree with this.

I really, really enjoyed reading the posts and, as said before, have learnt so much from being allowed to be a member of Ukw. I will continue to check in from time to time but I don't think you will want to hear about my bathroom renovations - I have the ceiling taken down and half the walls stripped back to brick in preparation for changing the layout - best to leave having no bathroom fixtures until summer I think!!!

With my very, very warmest wishes

Linda

Lindas":oumkot4i said:
.......... 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).........

Bloody hell! That is seriously generous. I'd have hired a small truck and collected that, and handed over £££££s.......and that's living at the other end of the country. Wood is far more important in a workshop than tools.

MikeG.":3lwikr2b said:
Lindas":3lwikr2b said:
.......... 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).........

Bloody hell! That is seriously generous. I'd have hired a small truck and collected that, and handed over £££££s.......and that's living at the other end of the country. Wood is far more important in a workshop than tools.

I wouldn't dare do that, my missus would kill me first. I thought I had collected a lot of wood but 22 tonnes could fill a small timber yard. It's a valuable and expensive material these days.

Get the bathroom sorted Linda!
Years ago after being on the receiving end of a lot of nagging I relented and bought a suite, stored it in the conservatory where it sat for more than 2 years before I got around to fitting it, :oops: The subject still surfaces on odd occasions. :lol:

Folks, I know about the timber, but dad's home is isolated, empty, surrounded by land awaiting development and with just one neighbour so we couldn't do an open advert for the timber. Also we had workshops overflowing with tools so much so that we didn't know what was there, so we couldn't risk odds and sods knowing. If I had met all of you at the beginning you could have come to collect it. The timber we let go, to focus on the tools. I think we would still have been at it in 3 years if not.

PS: Bathroom is in year 2 now!!!!

You've gotta let a project mellow. I'm not ripping that toilet out now until the summer. Buckets and winter don't mix!

Lindas":2rxw7ohj said:

You've gotta let a project mellow. I'm not ripping that toilet out now until the summer. Buckets and winter don't mix!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SammyQ":v9zn0026 said:
I am SO glad to learn that even a professional builder gets waylaid by Life and that my delays are 'normal'. :D

Sam

Yep Sam procrastination is perfectly normal as far as I'm concerned though my wife wasn't quite so understanding. She's mellowed a lot now and learned that I just shut my ears and dig in my heels. I'll never understand hows she's put up with me for 47 years. :lol:

How's the painting coming on?

Lindas":da3008t7 said:

Hi Linda, they can but very wise not to. :lol:

When we bought this house 32 years ago it had been subject of fire damage and been empty with a hole in the roof for 6 months over the winter so a large project and I had to set up a workshop in the lounge. I had a full time job and worked on it every weekend and evening as we had to live in it and I don't know how my wife managed with 2 young kids, it took a long time, also a large garden with waist high grass taller than my son at the time - he loved it.
It was my project as I could see the huge potential which my wife couldn't but it stretched us financially and was tough for quite a while, we had no kitchen but luckily 2 bathrooms and a downstairs cloaks so no bucket required.

As I said previously I'm trying to sort out my stuff to hopefully make it easier for the family when the inevitable happens but that said I bought another machine yesterday so not doing very well. :oops:

Back