Machining square holes in a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
P1030569.JPG
Working on my latest product I needed to machine a square (oblong) hole to make a frame. My trusty Holbrook did not let me down :)

P1030569.JPG

Attachments

• P1030569.JPG
    P1030569.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 822
top one's the wrong way round. :D
nice job.

no other tool in a machine shop is as versatile as a lathe. everything else does a one or a few jobs, the lathe does them all.
it's also the only tool in a machine shop that can build a version of itself with no other tools (excluding the nut behind the handwheel).

Next year, new roof on the workshop then I'm hiring a van at last and going to collect my lathe.

P1030543.JPG

Ok I admit it, I did use a saw to cut it from the round bar that was hollowed out.

P1030557.JPG

P1030560.JPG

Hope this makes it clear

Attachments

• P1030543.JPG
    P1030543.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 565
  • P1030557.JPG
    P1030557.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 563
  • P1030560.JPG
    P1030560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 563
Thanks.
It's simple when you know how!
You had me puzzled, I was expecting vary special cutters.

Bod

Nice one!

There's a similar trick you can do with a bit of thick leather - you fold it in two, clamp it between two bits of wood, then drill down through the fold. Open it out, you've drilled a square hole.

Bod":2lpyb6mj said:
Thanks.
It's simple when you know how!
You had me puzzled, I was expecting vary special cutters.

Bod

It took me a while to figure it out. Ideally I should have had a milling machine. Or maybe forged it, but I didn't trust my heat treating skills for this as strength is critical. Also can't weld anymore so this seemed the only (but tedious) option. Notice that the round bit at the end has a stepped recess inside. This is for an endcap to fit into so I have frame in the middle.

Back